Weldless bulkheads

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

Blktre
BrewLegend

Weldless bulkheads

#1 Post by Blktre » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:12 am

Jarrell and i are putting togther a list of people that want weldless bulkheads. These are the same thing as the zymie bulkheads for pots, keggles. We can build these things alot cheaper than buying online. I have weldless on everything i have making it cheaper than the commercial versions. Also, if your a DIYer and dont ss tig, then this is achievable. These are also tons cheaper than tig welds too...........These would be without a valve. Brass valves can be found for around 6 bucks at the local hardware store or if you want ss, then Jarrell can price those out for you too........link to what im talking about.........Cheers......Andy

http://www.zymico.com/weld-b-gone/
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Greenblood » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Estimated cost to build? I do not need one at the moment, but I am sure that I will eventually. So I'd be down if it is going to save me some $$!

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:32 pm

Greenblood wrote:Estimated cost to build? I do not need one at the moment, but I am sure that I will eventually. So I'd be down if it is going to save me some $$!

John
Initial thoughts are around 15 bucks per fitting minus valve.......
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Greenblood » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Sure. Why not. I'm in.

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Jensen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:38 pm

I wouldn't mind getting in on this too if it ain't to late!

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:10 pm

Jensen wrote:I wouldn't mind getting in on this too if it ain't to late!
Just in the beginnings.......
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Bill
Brewmaster

#7 Post by Bill » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:20 am

Count me in for 3! 2 to use, 1 for backup (you just never know).
Glad you started this up Andy and Jarrell!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Blktre
BrewLegend

#8 Post by Blktre » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 am

Jensen wrote:I wouldn't mind getting in on this too if it ain't to late!
please post how many......
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#9 Post by Jensen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:42 pm

I imagine 3 would be a good start.

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#10 Post by Greenblood » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:25 am

Just one for me please.

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

Blktre
BrewLegend

#11 Post by Blktre » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:13 pm

got em...15 bucks...pm me....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Blktre
BrewLegend

#12 Post by Blktre » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Have some more ready to go. The first batch went fast. PM me if interested...Andy
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Matt
Uberbrewer

#13 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:04 am

I've recently came across a bunch of (around 10-15) brass-housing-with-stainless-ball 3/4 inch valves. See photos at: www.silverthreadproductions.com/temp/valves/

I didn't have the cash on me to pick them all up, but I did grab one. This is what's in the photos above. They're all a bit dirty, but they clean up just fine.

I can definitely go back tomorrow and get the rest, but I don't plan on buying them all -- unless you'd all like me to pick the others up. I'd be happy to pass on this good deal to my fellow brewers. 8)

I believe these are exactly what most folks use on their keggles and mash tuns. Then again, it looks like the bulkheads Andy was talking about are 1/2 inch, not 3/4, so they might not be what you need.

I believe Andy said they go for about $6 usually, but I can probably get them for $2 each. Need to know quckly though, as they won't sit around waiting on me for long.

On another note, I believe I saw at least a couple of 20lb CO2 and Nitrogen tanks and regulators (and maybe a few others that are larger/smaller, but you'd have to look more closely than I did. They were mixed in with other gas-types.). There was also a fridge that looked like it was in good condition and would make a fine kegerator. There were also a plethora of tools. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you his info. (I would post it here for all, but I'm not sure he'd want me to do that. I know he wouldn't mind giving it to a few interested people though.)

If you're willing to dig, you might find a few other gems. I warn you, you'll be digging through LOTS of "junk" to find them, so wear a work-shirt and be prepared to shuffle a bunch of dusty boxes to get to things.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Blktre
BrewLegend

#14 Post by Blktre » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 am

Matt,
Everybody uses 1/2" on their brew equipment. Id say 1/2" is like a homebrewer industry size. Im sure there are a few rare folks that use 3/4" on larger systems. Nice score tho. Any 1/2" stuff laying around. Also, the beer gas setups is a sweet deal. Any idea on pricing on some of that stuff?
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Matt
Uberbrewer

#15 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Blktre wrote:Matt,
Everybody uses 1/2" on their brew equipment. Id say 1/2" is like a homebrewer industry size. Im sure there are a few rare folks that use 3/4" on larger systems. Nice score tho.
Well, that figures. :evil: Oh well. Not like I'm out anything. That's really why I didn't grab the whole lot of them... wanted to be sure about the sizing and such.
Blktre wrote:Any 1/2" stuff laying around. Also, the beer gas setups is a sweet deal. Any idea on pricing on some of that stuff?
I didn't see any 1/2", but I can ask him. Might go out there again tomorrow to dig through stuff. If I come across anything, I'll let you know.

As for prices on the gas tanks, regulators, fridge, etc... it's pretty much a "make an offer" kind of deal. The guy is having health problems and needs to clear out his space one way or the other. He's got a few days to sell what he can before he just has an auction company come in and take it all off his hands. Seems a nice enough fellow, so try to give him a fair price, but you'll definitely get some damn good bargains. PM me and I'll give you his phone number and address, and you can arrange to meet him at his space in Lawrence where the stuff is at.

Most of the tanks I saw were for welding (but that might also interest some of you guys), but he did have a few left for CO2 and Nitrogen. I plan to nab a 5lb CO2 tank (for portability) and a regulator for like $30. So you can see there are some pretty good deals.

As I mentioned there is a LOT of stuff there and much of it is simply obsolete, but there are a ton of tools and things that COULD be organized into a really nice kit, if you were willing to put the effort into sorting through everything.
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing