need a used 10 gal pot

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

need a used 10 gal pot

#1 Post by jeffvineyard » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:27 am

Looking for a good used boil kettle that is suitable for ten gallon batches. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful.
If you brew it they will come

meisel
Craft Brewer

Re: need a used 10 gal pot

#2 Post by meisel » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:40 am

A great many of us homebrewers including myself opt to use 15.5 gal sankey kegs converted for use as "keggles". Many can be scored on the cheap and the conversion can be done in an afternoon. These are what I use for my 10 gal batches. Others, especially those who do 15-20 gal batches buy big SS kettles from various sources. The advantages being better kettle dimensions for boiling, a "sandwich" of ferrous metals clad on the bottom which help conduct heat evenly, and avoidance of the moral/legal gray area in which sankey kegs can be acquired. Swagman does great welding and other modifications to keggles, he would be a good resource if you go in that direction.
The usefulness of opinion is itself matter of opinion.
Primum Brewery

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#3 Post by jeffvineyard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 am

I am currently using a converted keg for a mash tun but a keg won't sit securely on my burner so I was hoping to find something with a flat bottom. Mabey I should just invest in one of those fancy burners like andy has. Where do you find those any way?

wlockwood
Homebrewer

#4 Post by wlockwood » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I had this same problem. JJensen suggested getting a round grill grate replacement from the hardware store. This is placed on top of the burner then the keg on top of the grate.
This works nicely and is a lower cost than the alternative.

jeffvineyard
Little Beer

#5 Post by jeffvineyard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:18 pm

Sweet. Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try out the grate. I'm wondering though if in the long term ill save money by upgrading burners, due to decreased time from 70 to 212 degrees. Or am I off base and the increased volume of gas will offset the time factor? Delimas, delimas

klickcue
Brewmaster

#6 Post by klickcue » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Start out with hot water from your house water heater. Whatever the heat source, it will be cheaper than propane.
Have Fun!

Chris

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#7 Post by Jdl973 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

I have a plasma cutter and can "chop" the top off a 15 gal keg in about 5 mins if you need just a boil pot (swagman has one as well AND can weld SS...it is amazing what this guy can do with a tig welder).

shoot a pm if you need help cutting kegs

Jason
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#8 Post by Greenblood » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 pm

klickcue wrote:Start out with hot water from your house water heater. Whatever the heat source, it will be cheaper than propane.
This may not be the best option for everybody. Water heaters (especially older ones) can contain mineral deposits, bacteria, and other impurities. Older homes may also have pipes with lead solder. Hot water more easily/rapidly dissolves lead and other metals carrying those deposits with it. It isn't to say that using hot water from your water heater is guaranteed to be a problem, but it is likely to be of a poorer quality than your cold tap. The few minutes it saves may not be worth it.
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Blktre
BrewLegend

#9 Post by Blktre » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:02 am

I suggest getting w/Jason. For the long haul and it sounds like you are in one, trying to figure out something that will last is best. The BBQ grates work very well, for awhile, then the heat will cause failure at some point. You may get with Brick and look at his nifty portable design that's strong as hell and cheap to build.

+10000 on keggles!!

I'm also all about not using water from a hot water heater for reasons John noted. One of those heat on demand systems would work well.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Swagman
Homebrewer

#10 Post by Swagman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 pm

Jdl973 wrote:I have a plasma cutter and can "chop" the top off a 15 gal keg in about 5 mins if you need just a boil pot (swagman has one as well AND can weld SS...it is amazing what this guy can do with a tig welder).

shoot a pm if you need help cutting kegs

Jason
FIVE MINUTES!!!! ROOKIE :sign2:

Swagman 8)
Eliminate the possibility of Failure
Imagination is far more important than knowledge.
~ Albert Einstein