5-7gal carboy

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

LizLusher

5-7gal carboy

#1 Post by LizLusher » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey guys I'm new to brewing and I need a 5-7 gal carboy. I have a call into lindysprings to see if they have any for sale. I will go to Bacchus and Barlycorn if I must but I was hoping to get one used and they don't have any right now. Thanks!
Liz

Blktre
BrewLegend

Re: 5-7gal carboy

#2 Post by Blktre » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Try The Merc in Lawrence. The sell filtered water and have some 5g glass and plastic carboys.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

sam
Homebrewer

#3 Post by sam » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Last I knew, Ale n Vino in Topeka had both sizes. Hard to tell if they still do though. Here's the contact info.

http://www.ale-n-vino.com/
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

rushrich
Homebrewer

#4 Post by rushrich » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 am

Ale n Vino doesn't have any 6 or 6.5 gallon _glass_ carboys.

I called the other day and he said that they stopped making them; which sounded kind of silly as I KNOW of at least 4 homebrew websites that sell them.

I wonder if there would be a way to find a discount on buying a pallet/case of them as a guild and then selling them to members (like we did for kegs a while back)?

Anyone know if that would be a possibility (bulk buy on 6.5 gallon carboys)?
~Rich Greenwood~

rushrich
Homebrewer

#5 Post by rushrich » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 am

This was all that I could find, but if the shipping isn't too much (or if we could use FedEx to ship) we might be able to get them for as low as $28-$30 each.

http://waterloocontainer.com/catalog/pr ... lon-other/

36 per pallet at $911 for the pallet. Not sure about shipping, but we can look into it if there is interest.

The only question that I had was if there is a big difference between fermenting in a 6 gallon vs a 6.5 gallon when making 5 gallons of beer? Is that enough head space or is it completely dependant on the style of beer, kind of yeast or amount of activity?
~Rich Greenwood~

rushrich
Homebrewer

#6 Post by rushrich » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 am

Here is another place that doesn't sell to individuals, but might sell to the guild. . . . not a lot of info on cost though. . .

http://crosby-baker.com/index.php/ferme ... glass.html
~Rich Greenwood~

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Jensen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I think you would want 6.5 or bigger for head space, 6 could be cutting it close. Wish better bottles came in 6.5.!
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

rushrich
Homebrewer

#8 Post by rushrich » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

I have a hard time wrapping my head (read: my tree-hugging head) around using any kind of plastic for fermenting (or anything brewing related if I can find an alternative).

I think that leaves my options as glass or sanke. :(

Good thought though.
~Rich Greenwood~

Blktre
BrewLegend

#9 Post by Blktre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:09 pm

rushrich wrote:I have a hard time wrapping my head (read: my tree-hugging head) around using any kind of plastic for fermenting (or anything brewing related if I can find an alternative).

Good thought though.
As long as its HDPE plastic your good to go. Ive fermented for 6yrs + using 14g HDPE open head barrels. My 55g fermenter we use for big brews is also HDPE. Been going and going. Keep it clean and dont scratch it with a green scrubby and you will get many years out of a plastic fermenter.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#10 Post by cyburai » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm

+1 I've brewed with mine for 5+ years without any issue or off flavors. Plus the safety of not using glass..
Blktre wrote:
rushrich wrote:I have a hard time wrapping my head (read: my tree-hugging head) around using any kind of plastic for fermenting (or anything brewing related if I can find an alternative).

Good thought though.
As long as its HDPE plastic your good to go. Ive fermented for 6yrs + using 14g HDPE open head barrels. My 55g fermenter we use for big brews is also HDPE. Been going and going. Keep it clean and dont scratch it with a green scrubby and you will get many years out of a plastic fermenter.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Bill
Brewmaster

#11 Post by Bill » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Glass is pretty optimal for long-term storage (read as 'secondary') of things like mead, wine and whatnot since glass is not oxygen-permeable. For fermenting, if you are worried about the crap that plastic is made from getting into your body and causing horrific cancers and possibly making you into a Tarantino zombie (read as Planet Terror), your only real choice is stainless steel.

Since I only brew 11 gallons at a time, and I currently do not have a way to do a controlled temperature fermentation, I use my 6.5 gallon glass carboys for fermentation and my 5.5 or 6 gallon carboys for secondary. When I have the ability to ferment in a fridge/freezer, I use a 14 gallon HDPE barrel. Like everyone else, I've never noticed any issues with it, but I guess I've never had chemical tests done on the finished product to see if it is killing me softly, with it's chemicals.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Blktre
BrewLegend

#12 Post by Blktre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:00 pm

HDPE is food grade.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#13 Post by Rugger1978 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Try posting an wtb ad on craigslist for glass carboys. Might be surprised on what you find. I had 4 different people contact me when I did it in Topeka. One who had quite a few carboys that he sold to me for $10 each for 5 gallon ones and $15.00 for the 6 gallon ones.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

JWLero
Little Beer

#14 Post by JWLero » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:58 pm

I didn't read every post but, Lindyspring on Van Buren in Topeka sells 5 gallon glass carboys for $20 each. Give them a call.