Can I borrow a counter pressure filler?

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

dbüscher
Homebrewer

Can I borrow a counter pressure filler?

#1 Post by dbüscher » Thu May 26, 2011 8:57 pm

So I keg and i cannot invest in my own counter pressure filler until sometime in July or August... will someone please lend me a counter-pressure filler?
I will of course pay in bottled beer. I need to bottle a delicious Belgian Blonde and a Dubbel with repitched yeast from the Blonde.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
On-tap: Holy Hop Grenade, Coffee Amber Ale, Coco(a)nut Ale, Cracked Pepper Hibiscus Belgian, Doppelbach, Sidney Portier, American Barleywine

Lagering/Conditioning: Munich Dunkel, AAB Maibock, Brett Rye IPA, Russian Imperial Stout

On-deck: CocoMolé Ale

Pröst!

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can I borrow a counter pressure filler?

#2 Post by Frank » Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Have you priced it out to make your own DIY filler?

"We no need no stinking beer gun" build
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-n ... gun-24678/

There's also a thread on there of a guy that sells machined stainless steal inserts that fit in a new 525 style Perlick Faucet that I can dig up of that's what your looking for. The insert has o-rings that that seal it to the spout of the faucet and with a wand connected via liquid tubing you fill the same as above.

EDIT: I found the thread for the 525 insert. Here you go, I has a good video review of several DIY bottle fillers also.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/bottlin ... er-228344/

I have also read that a liquid tube from your keg will fit into the old 425 style Perlick Faucet. You unscrew the spout run the tube through the spout and screw it back on. The dip tube flange will in "inside" your faucet and screwed tight enough it doesn't leak. Then you'd just need a drilled stopper just like in the thread I posted above.

All three of these are a lot cheaper then buying a "real" bottle filler and from all accounts perform just as well.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Big difference is a BG and CPF will purge bottles with Co2, including the head space after filling. I also do the cobra tap trick to fill bottles. But only if I'm going to a meeting or get together where the beer will be consumed quickly, never for long term conditioning.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Frank » Thu May 26, 2011 11:01 pm

I have always considered these terms to be pretty interchangeable. However I think the true defining factor should be the presence of a stopper instead of the ability to purge head space. Since C02 is denser then air the head space can be purged with a spare hose from a CO2 distributor. Provided the bottle is filled immediately and not turned upside down there would be no more danger of oxidation then with a traditional CPF. Once the head space is purged and the bottle is filled with one of the three methods above (with a stopper) there will be a moment where the filler device is removed for a cap to be applied, this is no different then a traditional CPF. That being said both devices are flawed there anyway because as the device is removed the volume displaced by the device it self is replaced by air allowing chance for oxidation. So the head space should be purged after filling. The difference with the traditional CPF is the gas flow could be turned back on as it is taken out, instead of pulling the device and using the hose again. Also with a traditional CPF the rate of flow into the bottle can be controlled by adjusting the gas outlet valve to avoid foaming. However by presetting the CO2 pressure into the keg to just high enough to over come line resistance and fill at a reasonable rate that wouldn't be a problem with the other setups. Also by modifying the stopper to include a "sports ball filler needle" as suggested in the video in the second thread posted a finger could be used as the gas outlet valve restricting flow.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 am

I can only go buy experience and leave out all the theory stuff. Ive used both a CPF and I also own a BG. Both do well for aging beer in bottles long term (years). I dont use a CPF any longer because its to much work compared to the BG. Large breweries with bottling lines flood the bottles with co2 without a stopper, fill, and cap on foam. So in this sense the BG is doing the exact same thing except I hit the head space with co2 after removing the device then cap on foam. I think you need to use a BG properly in order to reduce any foam. There is a learning curve with it, but thats no different than learning a CPF. I do know that I will never go back to a CPF after using a BG. It achieves the same result with less hassle.

So it all comes down to cost. The BG is expensive. But not that much more than a decent CPF. But the cheapest method is the cobra tap method or adding a short piece of tubing on the faucet. These methods works great and only costs a few bucks in comparison. If long term storage is a issue in one's mind, then rig up a tube and valve and flood the bottles before using the cheapest method. Im betting this will work just fine and there have been reports that it does indeed work great. This hobby has so many different techniques and toys. You just have to find one that works for you.

With that said, dbuscher, you are more than welcome to try out my BG if all else fails.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough