Does anyone have a 10lb CO2 tank I can borrow?

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

mushhawk
Little Beer

Does anyone have a 10lb CO2 tank I can borrow?

#1 Post by mushhawk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:46 am

Does anyone have a 10lb CO2 tank I can borrow and maybe a regulator?
I am brewing beer for a wedding reception for my brother.
The beer will be ready to put in the keg on Friday. I will need to start carbonating it in the keg with CO2.

If anyone has one I could borrow for a couple weeks, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!

Also, if I had to rent one from a Linweld or a place like that, what would a 10lb CO2 tank and regulator cost me??
"...I was in Thailand, playing ping pong in Ding Dang..."

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Re: Does anyone have a 10lb CO2 tank I can borrow?

#2 Post by Steve Brown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 am

mushhawk wrote: Also, if I had to rent one from a Linweld or a place like that, what would a 10lb CO2 tank and regulator cost me??
One of the benefits of LBG membership is a discount at Praxair.

If you're going to keg, you might as well own a tank and regulator. Don't buy a new tank because when you trade it in for a refill, no telling what you'll get back. I own a Tap-Rite regulator and am very pleased with it. Buy a cage for it, too, as protection against damage if (when) the tank falls over. And make sure it has a stop to prevent reflux of liquid into the regulator. A source for many useful items is: http://www.foxxequipment.com/ You'll need gas line, fittings, - well, if you use the forum's "search" function, you'll find helpful tips and photos for setting up the gear. After the business portion of the meeting, most people will gladly discuss beer topics, their systems, helpful hints, etc!
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

toolman
Homebrewer

#3 Post by toolman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:24 am

i still have tanks for sale, check the other swapmeet listings.
thanks
orval

bneuen
Homebrewer

#4 Post by bneuen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:48 am

I think you should probably look at a 5 lb. cylinder or a 20 lb. cylinder, as the 10 lb. cylinders are not very common. The 5 lb. cylinder is small and portable (although I don't think the 20 lb. cylinders are bad as far as portability). The 20 lb. cylinders are a lot more cost effective to get filled (or rather swapped).

Yes, Orval had some 20 lb. cylinders he was offering for a really good price. I would recommend going that route.

-Bowe
-Bowe

mushhawk
Little Beer

#5 Post by mushhawk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Someone told me I would need a 10 pounder.

If the 5lb will suffice to carbonate and serve the beer, I'll just go with that.

Does anyone have a 5 pound CO2 tank I can borrow then? I called Kirk Weld (I think they go by a different name now). Then said they don't rent, but only will sell a tank for around $90.

Does anyone have one sitting in their garage that I could borrow? It can be empty. They said they only charge about $20 to fill one.

Thanks guys!

bneuen
Homebrewer

#6 Post by bneuen » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:31 pm

If your thinking about kegging your beer, you should really think about investing in a CO2 cylinder and a regulator.

I assume you will also need simple serving hardware as well, such as the quick-disconnects, beer and gas lines, and a picnic tap?

As far as sealing the keg, if you lube the large lid o-ring with some keg lube, it helps a lot. Also, don't latch down the lid before applying pressure. Get the lid in place, hold it up by hand by pulling on the latch, and then apply some CO2 pressure. The pressure will do a better job of seating the lid and o-ring than latching the lid. After some pressure has built up in the tank (5-10 psi), you can go ahead and latch the lid.

By the way, when is this wedding?

-Bowe
-Bowe

mushhawk
Little Beer

#7 Post by mushhawk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 pm

The wedding is September 15th.
Thanks for the keg tip. Where can you buy said keg lube?

No, I won't need other hardware like hoses, taps, etc.
My brother works for a liquor distributor and has the kegerator, hoses, tap handles, etc...

I found a loaner CO2 cannister and regulator. I might buy one if I keg more. I found a keg for $25. I might get a CO2 cannister/regulator if I find one for cheap somewhere.

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

#8 Post by Steve Brown » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:21 pm

mushhawk wrote:The wedding is September 15th.
Thanks for the keg tip. Where can you buy said keg lube?
Six posts up: http://www.foxxequipment.com/
[The forum is your friend. :) ]

Google is your friend, too! Among many others:
http://www.amazon.com/Keg-Lube/dp/B0064OK99S
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-LUBE-P99.aspx
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/keg-lube.html
http://morebeer.com/search/102297
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... s_id=10523
mushhawk wrote: No, I won't need other hardware like hoses, taps, etc.
My brother works for a liquor distributor and has the kegerator, hoses, tap handles, etc...
Chances are that he can get keg lube, too.
mushhawk wrote: I found a loaner CO2 cannister and regulator. I might buy one if I keg more. I found a keg for $25. I might get a CO2 cannister/regulator if I find one for cheap somewhere.
The deal on CO2 tanks a few posts above is a good one. Otherwise, try Google, or just go straight to the sites above and check there. Chances are that your brother could also help track down a tank and regulator.

It seems daunting at first - I remember. Only about two years ago, I was trying to find everything on the cheap. I set aside or spent about $25-$30/month, and soon it was all set up. The heavy lifting has already been done for you in the forum, if not this thread. Feel free to remember or re-read previous responses.

Use the "Search" function on the forum. Use Google. You'll get there!
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

mushhawk
Little Beer

#9 Post by mushhawk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate the advise. I will look into that.