Oxygen-based "Clean-itizer" Powder wanted

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

mushhawk
Little Beer

Oxygen-based "Clean-itizer" Powder wanted

#1 Post by mushhawk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 am

Does anyone know where I can find some one-step cleaner/sanitizer oxygen based powder?
JWL doesn't have any in stock.

Austin Homebrew Supply has some, but shipping is as much as the powder with their flat rate shippping.
I'd like to get a 2-4lb container.
"...I was in Thailand, playing ping pong in Ding Dang..."

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Re: Oxygen-based "Clean-itizer" Powder wanted

#2 Post by Steve Brown » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:54 am

Both Bacchus and Barleycorn in Shawnee, and Homebrew Pro Shop in (hmm, OP or Olathe??) carry one-step. Of course, gas will probably be more than shipping. But if you're going to KC, it could be an added stop.
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Frank » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 am

I would suggest not wasting your time or money on 1-Step. It is a cleaner NOT a sanitizer. Better products can be had locally, and cheaper.

If you really must use it I have 2 containers of Easy Clean I won't use. It's equivalent to 1Step.

What I would suggest you should use:
"Oxi-Clean Versatile Free" (It has a green lid) it is dye and fragrance free can be found it WalMart in the laundry isle on the bottom shelf. About $9 for 3 pounds (compared to 1Step $6 for HALF a pound) This works great on all Glass and Plastic items, does especially well as a hot soak for caked on yeast and kraeusen. Does not scratch plastic.

"Bar Keepers Friend" can be found at WalMart in the kitchen cleaners isle near the Comet on the bottom shelf. $5 for 12 oz. Works great on metal items.

"Star-San" this you do have to get at a brew shop or buy in bulk on the grain buys. $8 for 8 oz (which makes 40 gallons of sanitizer). This is the definitive sanitizer used on everything that needs sanitation, can be left in carboys/kegs during storage. Doesn't have to be raised out,and has a very short contact time. (1 to 2 minutes)
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Joe Yoder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 am

According to the literature, Star San has a contact time of 30 seconds, not that it will hurt anything to have it in contact for longer, but it is not necessarily necessary.
Joe

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Rob Martin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:04 pm

mushhawk wrote:Does anyone know where I can find some one-step cleaner/sanitizer oxygen based powder?
JWL doesn't have any in stock.
GASP!

Matt
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 pm

To be fair to JWL, I have noticed a marked improvement in their hours of operation and their stock on-hand (especially specialty grains). I'm guessing Jake would likely have more stock on-hand of other staples as well if we as a club were showing the shop a bit more support. Our resourcefulness as a club to buy in bulk has got to make it really difficult on any LHBS to do real business.

Sure, I'm the last guy to pass up an amazing bargain on base malts through the club. I couldn't afford to brew at all if I didn't. But I do try to buy my specialty malts, adjuncts, QDs and the like through the local LHBS when I can. And this from a guy who's driving from Topeka to Lawrence just to do so, because we've already lost Ale-n-Vino in Topeka for this very reason.

I'm just saying that it's pretty unfair to be shocked when JWL doesn't have something handy, when 90% of the brewers in town are bypassing the middleman and buying wholesale in bulk. We're spoiled rotten (and it's wonderful), but between competing with online warehouses and the most prolific homebrewers in the region all bypassing the middleman, I'd be hesitant to tie up my limited budget on perishable staples too.

THAT SAID...

I second what Frank suggested regarding the use of Oxi-Clean Versatile Free. I use it on my plastics, glass and stainless kegs with ZERO problems. It's MUCH cheaper, and is every bit as effective as the expensive PBW, etc, from what I can tell. Like those other cleaners, it does require a good rinse before I then sanitize with Star-San, but it works great.

I typically just add a scoopful of the Oxi-Clean Free into my keg washer full of warm water and fire it up. Run each keg for about 10 minutes after a good high-pressure, hot water rinse to get the majority of the gunk out. Works great for me. (Your mileage may vary.)

And if I could buy my Oxi-Clean alongside my StarSan at JWL, I would. Maybe they'll start carrying it.
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

JMcG
Brewmaster

#7 Post by JMcG » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm

HyVee has a generic "oxygen cleaner" without fragrance or chlorine. Mix 3 parts Oxi with one part TSP 90 and you have PBW.
jim

toolman
Homebrewer

#8 Post by toolman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm

you can get real tri sodium phosphate at homedepot. read the content on other tsp products, not sure
how they can even call them tsp.

JMcG
Brewmaster

#9 Post by JMcG » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 am

toolman wrote:you can get real tri sodium phosphate at homedepot. read the content on other tsp products, not sure
how they can even call them tsp.
The phosphates are not good for my septic tank (or the environment, in general, due to stimulation of algae growth, like fertilizer).
TSP 90 (sodium metasilicate) is used in PBW and is biodegradable. It's also used to wash fruits and vegetables and is safe to use as directed. They developed this product to replace TSP due to the old product's environmental impact.
I use the homemade PBW in my dishwasher.
jim