Lookin' for a false-bottom...

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

Matt
Uberbrewer

Lookin' for a false-bottom...

#1 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:27 pm

So I'm cutting the tops and plumbing my keggles this week and I'm super stoked. Thanks again for your help and expertise Andy, I'm grateful.

There are still a few things I need however, most notably a good false-bottom for the mash tun. Since I'm using 15.5g kegs, I'd love one of those Sabco stainless ones that are hinged, but I'm still *trying* to do this on the cheap -- I can always upgrade when the money's there.

So what I'm wondering is, does anybody out there have a false bottom that might work in a keg, that they're not using anymore... maybe you've upgraded to something better, and have your old one laying around collecting dust?

Pretty much anything would be a start and let me get that much closer to brewing on my own rig -- something I know several of you will say is ABOUT DAMN TIME. :) I couldn't agree more. So think of it this way, you're not just doing me a favor; you're getting a little $ for something you don't use anymore, you're helping me, AND you're keeping me from harassing Shane, Andy, Sean & John quite as much, which will make us all happier. :)

I'd prefer a stainless false bottom, but beggers can't be choosers. Bazooka-style screen would be worth trying out if you've got the material or know where I can get it super cheap to make my own. But I tend to make big beers, and I can't imagine 30 lbs of grain not crushing a screen manifold. Maybe you've got a copper tubing manifold you're not using? I'm looking for something to get high efficiency from -- something that will preferably sit well on the concave bottom of the keg and draw from the very middle (which is again, why I'm thinkin' a false bottom and dip tube design would be best).

Anyway, any suggestions and/or inexpensive equipment you have to sell or trade (even better) would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Matt
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:31 pm

OH, almost forgot -- a third (and probably best) option would be if someone could point me in the right direction on where to get stainless perforated metal sheeting, so I could make my own Sabco-style false bottom. I'm betting I could cut and hinge one myself for LOADS cheaper than they sell them. It's a long-shot, but you never know with you crazy folk. Some of you seem to get your hands on the most interesting things. :)

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Matt
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:37 pm

Oh, just as an update, with the help of Shane in finding some quality material and Andy in cutting said material, I now have a kick-ass, Sabco-style false bottom done up in stainless.

I found stainless hinges (with removeable pins so I can even clean in there if need be), and got it nicely filed down to smooth edges. I think it's going to work great. I'll let anyone interested know how it goes when I finally get the rig finished and get to brew my first batch with it.

Sorry... I just had to bring it up... it's friggin' sweet and it cost less than $35 to make (including raw material, hardware and cutting discs for Andy's angle-grinder). New Sabcos go for like $75-85, so I'm pretty damn stoked.

Thanks again to Shane and Andy for all their help with materials and tools.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Snowman
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Snowman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:09 pm

New Sabcos go for like $75-85

For what just the false bottom right? You have some very nice keggles worth much more than that with the fittings etc...more like $250 each atleast! You know come to think about it I don't think Sabco is selling them anymore. CONGRATS...Welcome to the DIY club :D

Matt
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by Matt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Snowman wrote:New Sabcos go for like $75-85

For what just the false bottom right? You have some very nice keggles worth much more than that with the fittings etc...more like $250 each atleast! You know come to think about it I don't think Sabco is selling them anymore. CONGRATS...Welcome to the DIY club :D
Thanks Jarrell. It feels good.

And to answer your question, yes. I was referring JUST to the false bottom. To get a complete keggle mash-tun from Sabco would be more like $350, and they do still sell them. You can find all their stuff online at http://www.brew-magic.com. As soon as I add a thermometer bulkhead and thermometer, I'll have pretty much exactly what they're selling there but for ridiculously less.

Can't wait to finish up and get to brewing!
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing