MO's Brewery

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

MO's Brewery

#1 Post by Joe Yoder » Thu May 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Western KS has another brewery! It is in Beaver, KS, barely a town, just a grain elevator and a couple houses and the brewery.
This has to be the smallest capacity brewhouse in America, unless someone is brewing 5 gallon batches for sale. Mo's has three 25 gallon vessels and brews about 40 gallons every Monday. Les, the head brewer, is also the head cook and bottle washer, so he only brews when the restaurant is closed.

The beers were very good. I especially liked the brown ale.
Food was good bar food. I had a cheesburger.
Service was excellent and if you are in there when they are not busy, Les and his wife are there to answer brewery questions, etc.
The brewery/ brewpub is in the only large metal building in town. There is a Coors sign above the door and a very small sign in the window to let you know that it is Mo's Brewery. The hop plant in the 1/2 barrel planter in front is lets you know you are in the right place.

Les is concerned about the hop shortage, so has put in 18 hop plants this year. He is hoping to get enough hops for his operation and may be actually selling some to homebrewers. I plan to keep in touch.

It is about 50 miles west of Salina and about 10 miles south of I-70.

I have one more brewery to go and I will have visited every brewpub in KS (I think). The one I haven't visited is in Cheney, KS, about 30 miles west of Wichita. I'll report back after I have been there.

Joe Yoder

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by Jensen » Thu May 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Thanks for the post Joe. You are the 4th person to mention this little treasure in the past few months. All have commented on how good the beer and food was. Rumor has it they were burned out on the California scene and were looking for a more relaxed environment to chill in. Sounds like Beaver is pretty chill. it is on my things to see and drink this summer!