River Market Brewery/KCMO

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

River Market Brewery/KCMO

#1 Post by Joe Yoder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 am

The River Market Brewery near the river (duh) in KCMO is closed. Here is a newspaper article:
http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 13738.html
Not the best in KC, in fact the last time I went the beer was not good, but it is still a shame.
Joe Yoder

l_townbrewer
Little Beer

Re: River Market Brewery/KCMO

#2 Post by l_townbrewer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:01 pm

The comments on that article are quite a trip.

meisel
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by meisel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:02 pm

$8 beers at the Power and Light District is for popped-collar d-bags who stand around fingering their cellphones with one hand and themselves with the other.
That one had me laughing...

It's been a year since I was at the Rivermarket brewery. The only thing I'm surprised about is that it didn't close sooner.
The usefulness of opinion is itself matter of opinion.
Primum Brewery

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Jensen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:18 am

"OK.......Lets get this strait. The River Market Brewery closed because it was awful. They had the best location of any brewpub in the city, and they squandered it. The brewer there was terrible. He brewed terrible beer. The food was mediocre, at best! The River Market Brewery was a blight to the brewing community, a shame to the restaurant business and the world is better off without it."

From the suposed brewer at Gordon Birsch-- guess that sums it up pretty well...

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by cyburai » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Jensen wrote:
"OK.......Lets get this strait. The River Market Brewery closed because it was awful. They had the best location of any brewpub in the city, and they squandered it. The brewer there was terrible. He brewed terrible beer. The food was mediocre, at best! The River Market Brewery was a blight to the brewing community, a shame to the restaurant business and the world is better off without it."

From the suposed brewer at Gordon Birsch-- guess that sums it up pretty well...
I worked and drank down there. They used to have a Red Beer night, like tomato juice and beer. The beer as iffy, and that was before I got into homebrewing and judging. The food was awful. And the service would have been better had you served yourself. When a bartender finishes her smoke before coming to take your order (after 10 minutes), that's bad service.

I wish a good brewery would make a run of it. It's a great location.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

l_townbrewer
Little Beer

#6 Post by l_townbrewer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:16 pm

There have been a number of rumors already. Grinders brewing.....or maybe a schlafly kc location.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#7 Post by Blktre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 am

If that quote actually came from the Brewer from GB, then shame on him. We can all agree about beer, food, service sucking ass and talk about it amongst ourselves, but a supposed fellow brother brewer talking crap like this about a fellow local brewer to the public is total BS. Since the whole entire business sucked, its most likely the brewer there had his hands tied by the owner(s) and his suck ass beers were not totally his fault.

Btw, id never go to GB for a beer period. Yea, looks pretty sweet showing off all the toys in the windows there in the PL District, but if your going to charge the prices GB charges for their beers, then id better have one spectacular beer and not some run of the mill beer built for the masses. Id just as soon go down to the Flying Saucer and get some good bottles of regional and international beers from them for close to the same price as GB beers. And I will for sure not spend a single, hard earned red cent at GB now for sure just because of that quote.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#8 Post by Joe Yoder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:25 am

I'm with you, Andy! That post was way out of line. I have not heard anything good about the beers at GB, either as far as that goes, but talking about it on a private forum like this is one thing. To dis the brewer in the local newspaper is way over the top.
Joe Yoder