Pyramid Alehouse, Brewery & Restaurant - Berkeley Califo

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

Pyramid Alehouse, Brewery & Restaurant - Berkeley Califo

#1 Post by Bill » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:53 am

Pyramid Alehouse, Brewery & Restaurant
901 Gilman Street
Berkeley, CA 94710 (a few minutes from Oakland)
http://www.pyramidbrew.com/home.php

First off, I'm far from a good judge on beer, but I'm still learning.

Overall a good experience. We went there twice and each time the food was delicious with healthy sized portions (I could never eat more than half of my meal), but our first waiter was new and forgot several things, but this did not take much away from the experience.
Several TVs for your viewing pleasure, gift shop (t-shirts, glasses, slinky, ball caps, growlers etc), and guided tours (didn't have time for the tour.)
I would rate the food a 7.5. Large portions are great, but their ribs left something to be desired. C'mon, I'm a Kansan, we know BBQ!

On Tuesdays they have 'Glass Night' where if you purchase their seasonal beer (by the glass or pitcher), you get to keep the glass. So, of course I have 3 new pints for my collection!
The seasonal was their Curve Ball Ale. A Kolsch style Ale, very crisp, low hop flavor, but had a kind of 'toast' flavor at the end that I didn't find very desirable, but still a very drinkable Ale. Wasn't very cold when brought to the table.
From their web site:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Alcohol By Volume: 4.80%
Malts: 2-Row Barley, Malted Wheat
Hops: Vanguard, Perle
Availability: May - July (hmmm funny, it's April!)
Best Paired With: German Sausages and other BBQ favorites

My Rating: 6

Macs BlackWatch Cream Porter (not even their beer or listed on their own website. Belongs to MacTarnahan's Brewery in Portland)
VERY much my style of beer. Nice, full bodied Porter. Great head retention with a nice smooth creamy texture with a very slight fruity finish. Mild on the hops. Again, could have been served a bit colder.

My rating: 9

Macs Ale (again, not their beer or listed on their website)
A nice Scottish Ale that won gold medal at the GABF. Nice clear amber color with a full bodied flavor with a fruity to floral aroma. Clean finish with not much after taste. Mild hop flavor. As with the others, not served very cold.

My rating: 8

I would recommend the Pyramid Alehouse, Brewery & Restaurant to everyone going to the Oakland area. The staff was fun, courteous and always with a smile. If you are a Weizen fan then this is the place for you. They carry a Hefe, Amber and Apricot year 'round.
They also have a Thunderhead IPA boasting 67 IBU's using Tomahawk hops. Andy, this would be the beer for you.

Overall experience: 7.5
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by cyburai » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:27 am

Excellent review, thanks Bill.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company