Schlafly Brewpub and Taproom, St. Louis, MO

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

Schlafly Brewpub and Taproom, St. Louis, MO

#1 Post by cyburai » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:14 pm

Located on 21st and Locust in St. Louis.

http://www.schlafly.com/

http://www.schlafly.com/map.taproom.html

Beers were very good. Sherry had the Raspberry Hefe and the APA. I had the Oatmeal Stout and Irish Stout.

Raspberry was POW with fruit. Nice sour note, and lots of aroma. From the appearance it looked like they used real fruit and not an extract.

The APA was middle of the road nice summer drinker. Little more hops than I would expect. Finished nice and clean.

The Oatmeal Stout was a bit dry, had a nice chocolate roasted flavor. But it was missing the cereal malt I expect in an oatmeal beer.

The Irish Stout was delicious. Very well rounded, good malt back with a nice roasted finish.

Dinner consisted of Mussles in a spinich, cheese, and hot pepper flake sauce (excellent!), and Mushroom and Steak pie with beer biscuits (good flavors, very very rich). Food was well presented and worth the trip.

Service is my only complaint. Outside of our waiter (who was one of two working 25+ tables) who was friendly and trying the best he could, the service was awful. Indifferent is the perfect word, starting from the hostess who basically said "4", the grabbed four menus (we had the kids with us), and walked off. We had to ask her if we should follow her. She then took us to a table, dumped the menus in the middle of the table and walked off. Later, when out food showed up, a kitchen runner came out, said "is this yours?". We looked and guessed that it wasn't what we ordered and told him, "if it is, we didn't order that." Then he just walked off, nothing said.

BTW; the kids menu is non-existant. Chicken fingers (which looked pretty good) and grilled cheese (which also looked pretty good). I don't want to say that kids aren't welcome (hey, it's a brew pub), but you have to make it a point you have kids. Nothing is listed on the menu.

Overall; good place for beer and food. Just have them at the bar.

The Beer (of course): 9
The Food: 8
The Service: 3
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company