Schlafly Bottleworks, St. Louis, MO

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

Schlafly Bottleworks, St. Louis, MO

#1 Post by cyburai » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:30 pm

Schlafly Bottleworks

http://www.schlafly.com/map.bottleworks.html

We were told to head to the Bottleworks to give Schlafly a second chance.

The Bottleworks is an excellent brewpub. Waitstaff were attentive, beers were good, and the food was good also.

Sherry and I split the Bison Nachos, which are loaded up and tasty.

Beers:

80 Shilling: Drinkable, but not much on flavor. I am not a big fan of this style, so I am going to bring some back for review.

Klosch: Also not a fan, but it was crystal clear. No off flavors outside of the slight sour note I expect. Aroma was to style, and flavor was clean as expected in a summer ale.

Hefeweisen: Aroma was crisp and clean, appearance was somewhat cloudy along the lines of Boulevard's unfiltered wheat. Drank easy, nice with some citrus.

Hard Cider: WOW! good stuff. Nice tartness without the cloying sweetness you often get. Nice and dry but not overly acidic. Also thinking about picking up a growler of this.

Overall:

Beer: 9
Food: 8
Service: 9

If you have choice between the two locations, head to the Bottleworks. Especially if you are eating. Much more kid friendly with half portions of some menu items.

Bar is very cool looking and worth the trip, also has a lovely beer garden.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

cog_nate
Homebrewer

#2 Post by cog_nate » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:23 pm

I concur with most of what Sean wrote. I haven't been to the Schlafly tap room, but the bottleworks is worth a look if you're in St. Louis. The food is indeed very good and reasonably priced (think Free State's menu + $1-2). The venison chili was damn tasty and they had a sausage and cheese plate that was great to share. Service was OK.

The beer garden is very nice, and there is also an actual garden in which they raise hops, grapes, and some vegetables to use in the food at the bottleworks.

The beers are solid, and they give you several samples after the tour. At the beer garden I had a few: decent pilsner, good ESB, good (and bone dry) cider.

Overall:
Beer: 8
Food: 9
Service: 7
Atmosphere: 8

barry
Homebrewer

schlafly bites

#3 Post by barry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:17 am

i just got back from a long weekend in st. louis with the family.

was looking forward to going to the tap room. we were staying downtown, so it was convienent, as opposed to the bottleworks.

i will spare you the details - plus i dont want to waste any more
of my time than i have to talking about this place - but it was a bad experience.

went for lunch on monday.
the place was less than half full.
host was short tempered and rude.
waitress was cluelessly rude - in other words, she was to dumb to know she was insulting us.
food was poor quality, small portions and overpriced.
the beer was the saving grace.
got a sampler - all were well done.

after the torture, i recalled a past experience of bad service
from many years ago (wish i had quicker recall).
guess they have not fixed the problem.
only made it worse.

i cant recall the last time i had a dinning experience so bad.
(then again, slow recall)
anyway, i will not go here again.
you should not either unless you want
to spend too much money on crappy food
and even worse service.

if you have to go, get a growler
and get the hell out.