Beer in DC?

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Beer in DC?

#1 Post by Steve Brown » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Hey, I'm going to DC late next week for a few days. Went to beermapping, so I know of a few brewpubs. Does anyone have specific recommendations? Going I-70 out and will stop probably in Indy or Columbus, maybe I-64 back through Lexington and Louisville. Any "must-drinks" along the way?

Thanks for any suggestions,
--Steve
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

phil6253
Homebrewer

Re: Beer in DC?

#2 Post by phil6253 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm

The youngest daughter lives in Indy and I've gone to the Indiana Brewers Fest once and will return. There are several in downtown Indy, Rock Bottom, Alcatraz, a couple others I've forgotten. The ones I didn't sample on location I tried at the event, all worthwhile. I'm sure they'll have something to knock the dust from your throat. Three Floyds is way off your track, but they sell it in Indy, it's worth a purchase. Have a safe one.

Phil

Travel by the Pint
Homebrewer

#3 Post by Travel by the Pint » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 pm

I visited Columbus to do a couple vidcast interviews last year. Barley's is a great stop, as is Elevator Brewing. Barley's has two locations - one downtown and about ten minutes west. The western-most location is a smokehouse. I just posted that episode: www.travelbythepint.com Both locations have the same brewmaster and system. They are known for their stout and imperial IPAs.

Elevator's episode will be up late next week, so possibly not before you leave. Their food menu is a few notches above Barley's and they have a more interesting atmosphere. The beer is quite good too, though a bit different in focus than Barley's.

(I should add that Barley's has great food too, but it is more relaxed and pub-like.)

As for Louisville/Lexington, KY is infamously dry when it comes to beer. Bluegrass Brewing Company in Louisville is a good stop. We did an episode on BBC in Season 1, which can also be viewed on our site. The brewmaster at BBC used to live in Lawrence. His first brewmaster position was at ...Sports Page??... now 23rd Street Brewery. If you stop in either city (Louisville or Lexington), Liquor Barn has an extensive inventory of beer, wine and liquor. The location on the east side of Louisville has a taps system so you can try out a dozen or so beers on site. Not sure if this is true at their other locations.

Cheers!

-Sally
Primary: Rauchbier
Secondary: None
Conditioning: Curse of Hathor Fig Ale
Ruins of Olderfleet Oatmeal Stout
Blackduck Shallows Wild Rice English Ale
1 a.m. Hampsterdam Black IPA
Omar's Revenge - Vanilla Imperial Porter
On tap:
Sundog Rye
Rainmaker IPA
Great Harvest Pumpkin Ale
Hill Tribe Herb Beer
Tha(I)PA 1- Herb Beer
Tha(I)PA 2- Herb Beer
Tasmanian Devil - Saison

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Steve Brown » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:47 am

OK, just back an hour ago; watch for comments in the next few days!
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin