Cheeky Monk Belgian Beer Cafe (Denver area and Winter Park)

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

kwgodwin
Craft Brewer

Cheeky Monk Belgian Beer Cafe (Denver area and Winter Park)

#1 Post by kwgodwin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 am

Cheeky Monk is not a brewpub, but it's definitely worth a visit. I went to the newest location in Westminster, CO, north of Denver. It's in one of those new-fangled-instant-downtown-like developments. Basically a big outdoor mall. I went in not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised.

They have an extensive selection of Belgian beers as well as craft beers from across the US, and our waiter knew about the beers he was serving. I enjoyed the triple I started with, but my favorite beer of the night was Midas Touch from Dogfish Head. I also enjoyed the Chicory Stout from the same. So...despite their name, they have plenty of non-Belgian beers, too. In fact, it turned into a Dogfish night for my table...we finished with a bottle of Poppa Skull.

The food was excellent, and very reasonably priced despite the upscale atmosphere. They specialize in mussels, which were perfect. I had the Monty Cristo sandwich...excellent again. Next time I'm in the area, I will go back to try more of the menu as well as the beer. Definitely the rabbit stew next time.

Locally owned, there are three locations: downtown Denver, Westminster, and Winter Park.

Their website gives an idea of their beer selection and menu:
http://www.thecheekymonk.com/

Here is a humorous (albeit long-winded) write up on Cheeky Monk and Belgians:
http://www.westword.com/2009-11-05/rest ... good-food/

Enjoy!
Ken

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Re: Cheeky Monk Belgian Beer Cafe (Denver area and Winter Pa

#2 Post by Jensen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Definitely in my phone for a perusal when we are in the area this summer. Thanks for the post!
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

sam
Homebrewer

Re: Cheeky Monk Belgian Beer Cafe (Denver area and Winter Pa

#3 Post by sam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Drove right past the one on Colfax withiut stopping, a couple times. Shame on me. I'll have to make a point of it next time. Thanks for the heads up.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.