Melange Apron, Baldwin City

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Melange Apron, Baldwin City

#1 Post by Steve Brown » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:51 am

OK, this place is not a brewpub, but it's local and they have notable potables. Really, I was surprised.

The Melange Apron is a small, quaint place, combo ice cream parlor, coffee house, bar, restaurant. The beer selection was absurd for such a small place. Eight on tap: Free State Copperhead, Stormwatch, and another; Breckenridge Agave Wheat; Leinenkugel's Limited plus a couple of other decent selections. Bottles included Bridgeport IPA, Hazed and Infused, Blackened Voodoo, Great Divide Hercules, and a few others that I might have remembered had I not enjoyed the Agave Wheat as much - It is tasty. Marco, the guy I talked with, gave me a small tour of the cellar; cooler space for sixteen 1/6th-barrels, glycol-cooled beer line snake that only had to travel twelve feet to the taps. Beer gas mix. He wants to add another eight taps. They had four kinds of small-batch bourbon, high-end scotch, gin, etc. The wine selection looked small but OK; the part-owner I spoke with talked up the local wines.

I didn't eat there, but the food smelled great! Marco said everything was fresh and homemade, nothing frozen or mass-produced. I think the on-line menus must need updated (judging by the beer list), but the prices are probably an accurate indication. He told me the most expensive entree was $20, surf-n-turf; 6 oz strip with king crab legs.

The band playing there tonight, Coyote Bill and His Wild Ones, was pretty decent, and the substitute drummer was killer. :wink: We played for seven or eight people, including the bartender, owner, and a waitress.

I have to recommend trying the place out - I'm afraid it might not last long. If you talk to Marco, tell him you heard about it through me - a Lawrence homebrewer. (This is not a compensated endorsement!)

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Re: Melange Apron, Baldwin City

#2 Post by Jensen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm

And so close to Lawrence! Sounds like a late-afternoon hooky spot to try in the very near future. Great post Steve!
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

Re: Melange Apron, Baldwin City

#3 Post by Melonmon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Sounds like a late-afternoon hooky spot to try in the very near future.
Just name the day, baby :wink: