New Orleans suggestions

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

sam
Homebrewer

New Orleans suggestions

#1 Post by sam » Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

Headed to New Orleans in August for a fly fishing retailer show. I've not been there before and was hoping that some of the more traveled members would have suggestions of pubs/restaurants/sites worth visiting.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Orleans suggestions

#2 Post by Frank » Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 am

Crescent City Brewhouse
527 Decatur Street (In the French Quarter)

My family and I went there for lunch and I remember the food/beer selection was good. Their sampler came on a "place mat" with a spot for each glass and a discription of the beer. The best part was our server was a homebrewer also. I don't remember much, it was a nice place. There another "beer" place in the quarter, but I can't remember anything about it.

Café du Monde
800 Decatur Street (In the French Quarter)

Good "coffee shop". Famous for beignets (french doughnuts) and chicory coffee. It's just one of those things you have to do.

Audubon Aquarium of the Americas
1 Canal Street (In the French Quarter)

Nice Aquarium, my kids loved it. Lots of fish from all types of waters. You can get a "combo" ticket for this, the Audubon Zoo, and the IMAX.

Parasol's Bar
2533 Constance Street (In the Garden District near the FQ)

Great "Dive Bar" with outstanding PoBoys and other bar foods.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

JMcG
Brewmaster

#3 Post by JMcG » Mon May 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Agree with Cafe Du Monde and CC brewpub.
The Bulldog has a large selection of crafts and imports. Two locations, I've only been to the one on Magazine St near the Garden disrict. I swear everyone down there drinks Abita Amber (I don't get it).
DBA in the Marigny/Frenchman Street area is supposed to have a decent craft selection, but they don't open until 5 and if you're not there early there's a cover.
Great lunch spot on Magazine is Joey K's for po-boys/sandwiches.
All of the "Classic" restaurants (Arnaud's, Emeril's, Galatoire's, K-Paul's and Antoine's, etc.) are excellent, but really expensive.
Nice spot in the Quarter is The Old Coffee Pot on St Peter. Good food and not as pricey. Great place for breakfast/Sunday brunch.
Acme Oyster House on Iberville is the best deal on oysters.
Any of the Brennan's restaurants are good.
Pat O'Brien's and most of the Bourbon St. scene is a zoo, but there is one of the oldest bars in the US- Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, its down past the noisy places.
Go to the Central Grocery on Decatur and stand in line to get a Muffaletta! Eat it there at the counter and get plenty of napkins to catch the olive oil dripping off your elbows!
I hear the Rum factory is a fun tour (with samples).
Aquarium is nice. Especially got a kick out of the plaque "Brought to you by BP".
Riverboat ride give you some history and a look at the commerce side, but may not be available with the high water.
Have fun!
jim

phil6253
Homebrewer

#4 Post by phil6253 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Funky Pirate, hand grenades are popular and some of the best local live music, decent tap selection, but after two hand grenades I really didn't care.

Felix's Oyster bar, has some local flair, excellent crab sandwich.

Muffalatta at the place by the pier, can't think of the name, but the locals will know.

Don't get the street beads, like marking "sucker" on your head for the pan handlers.

sam
Homebrewer

#5 Post by sam » Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I am looking forward to New Orleans and dropping down to the gulf for some fly fishing.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

mymead
Homebrewer

#6 Post by mymead » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

I was in N-O back in 2002, Sadly through the haze of two fisting hurracains and :shock: "Beads!!!" I dont remember the names of any of the places we eat at, but one.

Bubba Gump's And I had two buckets of beer steamed shrimp...it was the longest three block walk back to the hotel that I have ever had.

Hope you have a great time!

Primary: Empty.....
Secondary: orange camille mead
Bottle Conditioning: Peach Melomel
On Tap: Very berry mead