Liquid Bread, Hays, Kansas

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

Liquid Bread, Hays, Kansas

#1 Post by Joe Yoder » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:01 pm

Hays KS A little hard to find, you have to drive south off of the interstate a couple miles and then to the west in the old downtown area of Hays.
We have been here before and it was very good, the beers were unimaginative but clean and to style.

This time we were not as impressed. Food was poor, Service was poor, beers fair. The stout is exceptional, but all others were not good (or at least not up to my personal high standards, lol)

I'll give it a 2.5 on a scale that has the FSB at 9 (I still haven't found a 10)

Joe Yoder

bike2brew
Homebrewer

#2 Post by bike2brew » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:27 pm

Kerry and I stopped at Liquid Bread on the way back from GABF at 2:00 PM on Sunday. Just what we need after GABF - more beer! We sat at the bar which had a nice view brewhouse which is behind the bar. Service was good, but there weren't very many people in there at the time. Kerry had the pot roast which was very good and the pale ale which was good, but nothing exceptional. I had the chicken pot pie which was good, an amber ale which was good and the stout which was very, very good.

We'll stop there again someday.
Support Independent Craft Breweries.

Snowman
Homebrewer

#3 Post by Snowman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:54 pm

I guess Eric, Craig and I should have stopped as well. We were a little ahead of you but would have probably been drinking a pint when you arrived. We were pretty much beered out :shock:

fergmeister
Brewmaster

Yikes

#4 Post by fergmeister » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:00 pm

I passed throughj Hays the other day. Stopped in to LB. They were out of most of their selections temporarily. Those Ft Hays kids are drinking it up in outside sales(Kegs and Growlers). I tried their rootbeer and it was really good with my lunch. I left with empty growlers. Gerald said he was working on replenishing the stocks.
Chuck
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

cog_nate
Homebrewer

Re: Liquid Bread, Hays, Kansas

#5 Post by cog_nate » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Paid a visit to Hays last week and had a couple beers and appetizer-ish stuff at LB. The french fried green beans were very tasty, guacamole and chips were so-so.

Beerwise, it was a bit of a letdown. They were releasing a new beer that day, "Honey Brown". That was about the best of the lot, and it had a good honey flavor without being cloying. The flavors in their IPA seemed to be all there, just a bit muted. The oatmeal stout was probably the most disappointing. It took gold at the GABF last year, but my pint of it neither looked nor tasted at all like a stout; it was more like a very murky brown. Maybe I got dregs or the bartender screwed up. Service was adequate.

So, if you wind up in Hays and don't want to go in for a full dinner at Gella's, grab a pint or maybe a growler of the honey brown and then get a spicy sauerkraut bierock from Schilleci’s instead.

Ace
Craft Brewer

#6 Post by Ace » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:03 pm

We stopped in to LB on the way out to Denver, and on the way back. The first time, we had to wait as they unlocked the doors to open.
I had a flight of tasters, only the kilt lifter and the stout were worth mentioning. We split a chicken quesadilla, which was quite yummy, with big chunks of chicken. The return trip I had a pint of the brown and the stout. I can see why they took gold with the stout, quite quaffable.
We also had the amber queso, which arrived in a cast iron skillet with a basket of corn chips. There were huge chunks of hamburger in the cheese, and it filled the both of us up.

kevputo
Homebrewer

#7 Post by kevputo » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

I was finally able to pull off a visit to Lb a few weeks ago (4/21/12) while I was out in Hays for a wedding. Even had the presence of mind to take a few notes.

I had samplers of everything they had on tap that day. Here were my notes:
  • Pale Ale: bitterness seemed low for a pale, but the flavor was very good.
    IPA: Good bitterness, sweeter than expected, could use more aroma hops
    Lb Light: not my cup of tea. Too light, no hops or flavor
    American Wheat: OK initial flavor, but has an odd straw-like aftertaste that makes this pretty hard to drink.
    American Hefeweizen: same off-flavor as the filtered american wheat
    Lemon Ale - Like a carbonated lemonade, almost no hops, very light & finished dry. Would be a great summer brew. Menu said it was based on the wheat beer, but I didn't pick up any of the same off-flavor.
    Amber: Clean, low hops, good balance, not too sweet.
    American Brown: Also very clean, similar to the Amber but a bit carmel & nutty
    Oatmeal Stout: Rich roasty/toasty flavor, creamy, solid stout
    Liberty Stout: Sweeter & more boozy than the oatmeal stout. Also had a touch of chocolate flavor in finish.
After trying them all, I went with a full pint of the IPA as my victory lap. But really I liked everything except their wheats, which had that off-flavor. Somebody is going to have to educate me on what that is, and what causes it, so I can make sure it doesn't ever end up in my own beer.

I was very impressed with the food.
I had a Schitzelwich, which was a fried pork tenderloin set off with a horseradish mayo, and it was mighty tasty. The others with me had the Beerwurst (with saurkraut, carmelized onions, and spicy mustard), chicken fried chicken, and flank steak. I was able to snag a bite of everything, and have nothing but good things to say about the food. I especially liked the spicy mustard on the beerwurst. Also, we must have gotten a fresh batch of kettle chips, as they were excellent.

Service was good, and I thought the location was very cool. I guess I was expecting a bit more of a hole in the wall, but was pleasantly surprised. They've taken over 3 storefronts in the old town area, and have renovated it into a very open, clean, inviting atmosphere. Nice view of the brew-house behind the bar.

Aside from my dislike of the wheat beer, this was an excellent drinking & dining experience that I would highly recommend.
Kevin Hansen

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#8 Post by fergmeister » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm

So sorry Joe and a few others didn't have a good experience at Liquid Bread, every time Chuck & I have been there on our way to and from GABF we've had an awesome time. Our food was great, service was great and the Oatmeal and Liberty Stout were top notch, although that's what they're known for. Chuck agrees the IPA's aren't IPA's, but there are others to try. Give them another try, sometimes a place can be off once in a while.
Presently drinking a Breckenridge Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout and it's wonderful, you can get it at Jensen's Liquor!
Wendy
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#9 Post by Rob Martin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Know of any camping areas within 30 minutes of Hays?

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#10 Post by Joe Yoder » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am

Might be a bit more than 30 minutes, but Wilson State Park is one of KS nicest parks. It is just east of Russell. And while you are there, don't miss the Garden of Eden and other outsider art in Lucas, KS.
Joe