flat branch pub and brewing, columbia, mo

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

barry
Homebrewer

flat branch pub and brewing, columbia, mo

#1 Post by barry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:37 am

since i just got done trashing schlaflys (and rightly so),
i thought it appropriate to balance all the negativity.

on the way to and from st. louis, we stopped in columbia, mo
and enjoyed the jewel of columbia - the flat branch.

had dinner on the way there. lunch on the way back.

great outdoor seating with beautiful gradens.
inside is noisy but has a nice feel.

food both times was very good - buffalo meatloaf sandwich
and charbroiled romain salad both recommended.

beer was solid. they had 12 on tap did tasters of 11 of them.
all but one were good. some even better.

Katy Trail Pale Ale - nice balance
Oil Change Oatmeal Stout -mmm
Honey Wheat - respectable for the style
Brown Ale - well done
Green Chili Beer - didnt try cause i dont like the style
Irish Red Ale - cask - not a fan of the style, but thought it was good
Hefeweizen - yum
Porter - had a bite, could use some aging
British India Pale Ale - bit raw, needed aging
Pilsener - something went wrong here
Strawberry Lager - even this one was good. well done for the style
Extra Special Bitter - cask - really good

service was inconsistant.
dinner was tolerable.
lunch was very good.

highly recommended.

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

Re: flat branch pub and brewing, columbia, mo

#2 Post by Joe Yoder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Because places can change over time, I thought that I would just post that I have recently visited Flat Branch in Columbia and it is still very good.
Food, Beer, Service, top notch in all three categories. Be careful parking, though, the lot across the street is permit only and the fine is $15. oops.
Joe

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Ellen and I also have stopped there for a bite and sampling of brews. These guys have been hard at it for a long long time. A definite and worthwhile stop-- if not a destination in Columbia, MO! We were not only impressed with the list and taste of beers on tap, but with a diversified and tasty menu as well.

Swoosh
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Swoosh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for the update Joe.

I was just going to ask where were some good places to check out on the way to St. Louis. We are planning a trip in a few weeks. This stop has made our itinerary and I can’t wait to try their selections!

Andrew C.

Swoosh
Homebrewer

#5 Post by Swoosh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I am happy to confirm that the Flatbranch pub and brewery in Columbia, MO is everything that has previously been touted and would strongly suggest it to others to try as well.

I had the sampler and chose these beers...

Katy Trail Pale Ale - It was good but not one of my favorites
Oil Change Oatmeal Stout -my favorite of all the beers I sampled. I saved it to drink last and it didn't dissappoint. Yummy!
Honey Wheat - It was ok but not a lot to say about it.
Brown Ale - A well balanced beer and had a good taste.
Green Chili Beer - My first time trying this style. It had a good taste too...but then again I like green chilis!
Extra Special Bitter - cask - another favorite. I am really starting to like the ESBs!

Too bad we had to get back on the road because I think I could have really gone to town on the stout and the ESB.

They did a very good job with their food and service as well.

Appetizer - Green Chili Chicken Fingers and Beer bread (strongly suggest the beer bread!)
I had the ribs which had a good smoked taste and the meet was falling off the bone tender. My wife had the French Dip sandwich with onion rings and said it was good. My oldest son said it was the best cheeseburger he has ever eaten. My other 2 children split a small pizza but seemed more interested in checking out the unique hand dryers in the bathrooms.

My wife enjoyed the atmosphere the most and plans to suggest it to her friends at work. The waiter was friendly, responsive and helpful but did not interrupt or distract from our dining experience.

I really appreciate the previous feedback on this brew pub as it really helped end our vacation on a positive note. We plan to return in future trips through Columbia.

Andrew C.

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

#6 Post by Dale Wheeler » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 am

Is the Flat Branch still good? Planning to sample there this weekend. Any other noteable Columbia MO brews/dining?
Dale Wheeler

Glenn
Homebrewer

#7 Post by Glenn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am

Dale Wheeler wrote:Is the Flat Branch still good? Planning to sample there this weekend. Any other notable Columbia MO brews/dining?
Well, they recently medaled twice at GABF, so apparently they're still doing something good. Don't know of anything else in Columbia.

If you don't mind an easy 30 miles total diversion, there's Tin Mill Brewery in Hermann. It's 15 miles south on Hwy 19, and the brewery is literally two blocks east once you get over the river. Hwy 19 is roughly halfway between Columbia and St. Louis. Tin Mill is all German style beers, so take that into account. Hermann will be pretty crazy this time of year.

There's also a brewery in Jefferson City, but that's definitely more out of the way. If you have the time to take Highway 50 to St. Louis, then that is definitely in play. I think it's called Prison Brewery?
Life begins at 60. 1.060, that is.

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

#8 Post by Dale Wheeler » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:19 am

Just returned from weekend in Columbia.
Flatbranch was very good. Of special note, Lisa had a Cherry Brown. Would not have been anywhere near my first choice, but it was outstanding. Perfect balance of malt and biscuit with tart cherry. somewhat similar to the cherry profile in the New Glarus beer but more subdued. I started with ESB, and it was tasty. Good body, no butter or defects, lively hop spiciness.
Even better, the restaurant Sycamore http://www.sycamorerestaurant.com/. The beer list http://www.sycamorerestaurant.com/menus/beerlist.pdf leans heavily towards belgians with some great IPAs and stouts. I enjoyed:
Jolly Pumpkin "La Parcela" (on tap)
Unibroue, 'Ephemere' Apple Ale
Founder's "Nemesis"
along with 2 1/2 hrs of gustatory overload, working though several small plates of salads, pates, scallops on pork belly, short ribs, and sweet potato cake with toasted marshmallow icecream.
Also stayed at an excellent B&B, the Taylor House http://www.taylor-house.com/. Very cool, not the "victorian frilly shit" that too many of these places have. Convenient to downtown.
Even though we had to look at f*ing Mizzou paraphernalia all weekend (sorry Glen), Columbia is a great weekend destination.
Dale Wheeler

Glenn
Homebrewer

#9 Post by Glenn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 am

Dale Wheeler wrote:Even though we had to look at f*ing Mizzou paraphernalia all weekend (sorry Glen), Columbia is a great weekend destination.
Hey, try living like that for 8 years like I have. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! At least the beer and food were good. ;)
Life begins at 60. 1.060, that is.