Upstream Brewing Company - Omaha, NE

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

tjthresh
Homebrewer

Upstream Brewing Company - Omaha, NE

#1 Post by tjthresh » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:02 pm

In the body:
514 S 11th St
Omaha, Nebraska , United States of America
Google Maps link

How was your experiance?
The wife and I took the kids up to the Omaha Zoo (fantastic), and this was my treat for being a great dad.
Its located in the Old Market district. Sort of a Westport/Plaza upscale area, not far from the Quest Center and the Riverfront.

How would you rate: 1(bad) - 10 (excellent)
The Beer (of course): 7 The beer is a smidge above average. On this trip I had a Oktoberfest Ale. I didn't know it was an ale until after the fact, and was quite suprised. It was really good. The other I had was and ESB that was fairly run of the mill. Malty up front with a strong bitter finish.

The Food: 7 This place has a high end menu. I don't remember what they were, but I looked at the dinner special menu and it look like something off of Top Chef. I had a really good London Port Roast Beef Sandwich with Provolone cheese, arugula-tomato relish and roasted garlic aioli on grilled red pepper focaccia. It came with a side of smashed potatoes and gravy. I really liked it. There were six of us there and it cost us less than $40.

The Service: 8 We were seated promtply. I never had an empty drink. and our server was attentive but not bothersome.

Additional Comments:
As far as I'm concerned, there's not good reason not to stop.

:Mod Edit: shortened that url!

Glenn
Homebrewer

Re: Upstream Brewing Company - Omaha, NE

#2 Post by Glenn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:31 pm

tjthresh wrote:In the body:
514 S 11th St
Omaha, Nebraska , United States of America

Google Maps link

How was your experiance?
The wife and I took the kids up to the Omaha Zoo (fantastic), and this was my treat for being a great dad.
Its located in the Old Market district. Sort of a Westport/Plaza upscale area, not far from the Quest Center
and the Riverfront.

How would you rate: 1(bad) - 10 (excellent)
The Beer (of course): 7 The beer is a smidge above average. On this trip I had a Oktoberfest Ale. I didn't know it was
an ale until after the fact, and was quite suprised. It was really good. The other I had was and ESB that was fairly run
of the mill. Malty up front with a strong bitter finish.

The Food: 7 This place has a high end menu. I don't remember what they were, but I looked at the dinner special menu
and it look like something off of Top Chef. I had a really good London Port Roast Beef Sandwich with Provolone cheese,
arugula-tomato relish and roasted garlic aioli on grilled red pepper focaccia. It came with a side of smashed potatoes
and gravy. I really liked it. There were six of us there and it cost us less than $40.

The Service: 8 We were seated promtply. I never had an empty drink. and our server was attentive but not bothersome.

Additional Comments:
As far as I'm concerned, there's not good reason not to stop.
Shortened the link up for you, hope you don't take it personally. ;)

I have never been in the state of Nebraska, and it's not like I'm avoiding it. Here's another reason to add the list for getting my ass up there.

Thanks for the review!

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Joe Yoder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:50 pm

I have been to the Upstream Brewery several times and concur that it is a worthy brewpub. The beers that I have had were not outstanding, but were solid good clean beers. Food and service have been good on all of my visits as well.
Its no FSB, but then again, have we found a brewpub that really compares?
Joe

sherrybob
Homebrewer

#4 Post by sherrybob » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:02 pm

I actually have been to a few places better than FSB in my travels, and would frequent them if they were not in other states.

I have had plenty of not great beers there, more crappy service than I can remember, and my mom and I had to stop eating lunch there every week because we can't hear each other over the din - at friggin lunch upstairs in the back!

Free State is great, and it has been around the longest, but let's not make it into something it is not. That being said, Sean and I will be there having dinner and drinks tonight if anyone cares to join us.
Beer Haiku:
Delicious Homebrew
Nectar from nature's bounty
No hangovers here

philip
Homebrewer

#5 Post by philip » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 am

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I really like FSB. In fact it is one of the main reasons I moved to Lawrence. But in my travels I have found others that are just as good, if not better, in some aspects.

Coopersmith in Fort Collins, CO; Court Avenue Brewing in Des Moines, IA; Blind Tiger in Topeka to name of few.

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Joe Yoder » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Whatever!!
Given the three things required for a great brewpub experience, Service/Food/Beer, the two places out of three places on Phillips list that I have been to, Court Brewery and Blind Tiger, DO NOT hold a candle to Freestate. I am sorry, but Court is overpriced and Blind Tigers service is fair at best. Their menu is getting better, but it still does not rate compared to FSB. Their current chef was trained at Freestate, so I see them getting better, but their service still lacks. Go ahead ask a waitress about a beer, you will not get any kind of educated response. Do it again at FSB and you will.
As far as numerous bouts of poor service, etc., Sherrybob, could it be because you have been to the freestate so many times that there is bound to be a time or two when things lacked? How many other places have you been to that many times? As far as the noise goes, I guess I have to agree, but to me it is all worth it for the main thing, THE BEER!! As far as hoppy beers go, FSB is the best! No one close to us even compares.
Just my opinionated 2 cents...Don't go knocking my Free State!!
Joe