Safari Grill and Brewing

Visited or Visiting a brewpub? Post your comments.

Moderator: Officers

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

Safari Grill and Brewing

#1 Post by Joe Yoder » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Safari Grill & Brewing
12 East Main
Chanute KS 66720

Stopped for lunch in Chanute, KS this week. I had heard about a brewpub there, so thought I would try to find it.

Located in a cool old hotel in downtown with a large bar and lots of seating (I was the only one there).
I ate at the bar and talked beer with the bartender who informed me that there was a hop shortage!! Gawd NO!! And that is why 3 of there 7 beers were out.
They did have an IPA, Dark Amber (whatever that is), Vanilla Stout and a Peach beer. I tried samples of the Dark Amber and Vanilla Stout and had a pint of the IPA. Oh, they also had a hard cider, imagine that. The beers they didn't have included a high alcohol pale ale 'Amy's something' and a wheat beer.

The IPA was very hoppy and really not bad. The Amber and Stout weren't bad either. The cider tasted like it might have been pretty young. All the beers were cloudy. Pretty sure they don't filter anything.

Food was fair to good, decent salad bar and good sandwich menu. I had Chicken BLT wrap that was OK.

Service was OK, but bartender was clueless about the beer. Why don't brewers train these people???

Beer 6
Food 6
Service 5

Not bad for small town KS

Joe