2009 KCBM

Guild Member Awards and Recognition
Blktre
BrewLegend

2009 KCBM

#1 Post by Blktre » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:15 am

Word on the street is Brick won 2 Bronze medals and Chucky Baby won a Bronze and a Gold at KCBM this year.

Thanks for all those entered and carried on the LBG name showing once again "We aint no slackers!"

Let these two speak up and give us all the details! If I missed anybody please speak up!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

fergmeister
Brewmaster

Re: 2009 KCBM

#2 Post by fergmeister » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:17 pm

"I got a hangover and the pain won't stop my friends say I was danc'n on the table top"
Jamie Lee

Just kidd'n that was Grizz

Fact of the matter is I took GOLD with an all grain Barleywine (go figure). Scored a cumulative 49.75/50 and in a tough decision that didn't go my way missed Best of Show for all grain entries. Chris Stenger can explain this(maybe). I also took Bronze for a Barleywine made completely of Pilsner grain 28P, an experimental beer that came to me one night in a Tampa, FL hotel room while drinking Budweiser Brewmaster select, a high gravity seasonal from AB that had a bottle that was more interesting than the beer. Other entries that didn't fair so well were two Wee Heavy Scotch ales, a second Barleywine made at the Mayfest that hadn't aged long enough and may not cuz it's good, Belgian Strong Golden that I shared at the last meeting, and a Rasbery/Apple Cider. 7 beers in total.

On behalf of Brick, I accepted two Bronze medals for his funky Belgian Saison entries, of wich I encouraged him to enter this last winter. Oh ya I guess it's still winter. Don't know if anyone else entered, but those were all that got credited to the Guild.

Sure would have been nice to have brought home the grand prize but WTF maybe in the future. BTW 50s on your score sheets is pretty kick ass.

Oh ya, The key note speaker was Ken Shramm the mead maker, author of The Complete Meadmaker of which I have a signed copy to loan out to the honey heads.

Cheers
Chuck
Opportunity favors the prepared mind

klickcue
Brewmaster

#3 Post by klickcue » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:50 pm

To Chuck and Brick, you should be very proud, an excellent job!

Way to Go!
Have Fun!

Chris

brick
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by brick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Well I did get 2 bronze medals but they were for an English Bitter and a Belgium Dark Strong Ale(brick to da head).
Russell

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#5 Post by fergmeister » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:14 am

You had honeywheat and you didn't offer. Bad Brick

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:35 am

fergmeister wrote:You had honeywheat and you didn't offer. Bad Brick

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Theres a Brickhead in every crowd :alien:
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

brick
Craft Brewer

#7 Post by brick » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 am

Sorry about that Chuck I should update my signature more often all the wheat is long gone.
Russell

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#8 Post by fergmeister » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Blktre
BrewLegend

#9 Post by Blktre » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:46 am

Chuck,
I just found out what happened.

Congratulations on your Best of Show! :mrgreen: :headbang: :hello1: :occasion5:

Your English BW has always been the best example Ive ever had. So, it doesn't surprise how well the beer did. Someday you will have to teach the rest of us how to brew a Flawless beer!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#10 Post by fergmeister » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Wow thanks. There are no real secrets only practice and determination. Of course good ingredients and extrordinary process techniques make a difference, for instance I think the barleywine gets a 3 hour boil(no sh..) Another thing is you must hide some away as not to drink it all before it matures (2 years +) One thing thats cool is the BW that took bronze is the one I did at mayfest. One more year to go. I may make the all grain version this weekend. I'm encouraged. It sure was sweet to get 50s on the score sheets. The're getting framed(brewhouse motivation)

Thanks for the kind words.
Cheers
Fergmeister

:occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Oh ya the record for this recipe was: 2006 LBG best of show(finally beat Shane), 2007 KCBM Silver(judged by John Palmer recipe designer), and 2009 Gold, Bronze and BOS BLING!!!!

csbosox
Homebrewer

#11 Post by csbosox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:52 pm

I got to try Chucks gold medal winning barleywine and it was really freakin tasty. Good thing I had a steward that found us some good beers! As for not winning best of show, I would ask Al, Roderick, Alberta, or Ken Schramm since I had nothing to do with it. If I would have had a say, I might have voted for Andy Bales Flanders Red, it was pretty damn tasty too. I did not have a chance to try the BOS dry stout.
Chris Stenger

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#12 Post by fergmeister » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Ya Chris I'd imagine that having to choose between 5+ runner ups was tough :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :shock:

csbosox
Homebrewer

#13 Post by csbosox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:00 pm

I can't wait until I get high enough in the BJCP to be able to be a BOS judge, but I need to pass the test first. :D

Also, I was thinking about making an all pils BW, looks like you beat me to the punch. If you have a spare bottle, I would like to try it sometime.
Chris Stenger

fergmeister
Brewmaster

#14 Post by fergmeister » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:59 pm

I'll try to bring it to the next meeting. BTW it got beat by Poncho (strong ale). Bronze was the BW I did at Mayfest
C