The Beers of Belize

Comments on commercial beers, meads, or wines.

Moderator: Officers

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

The Beers of Belize

#1 Post by Joe Yoder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Don't worry this won't take long...

A wonderful bird is the pelican, His bill can hold more than his belican, He can take in his beak, Food enough for a week, But I’m damned if I see how the helican.

Pretty insipid limerick, eh? Well not as insipid as the beer that is the national treasure of Belize and apparently takes its name from that poem. Belican Beer. They have a national brewery. How wrong is that?
There were essentially 4 different beers all brewed by Belican in Ladyville or somesuch, right next to the Belize International Airport. Belican, Belican Premium, Belican Stout and Lighthouse. They all sucked. The stout almost seamed to be hoppy, but it might have just been astringent. The others were just awful. Not much flavor, but if you could detect something, it was not good! Oh well, we didn't go for the beer and the rum was very good.
There was also Guiness (brewed by Belican), not like any guinness that I have had and a dragon stout and Red Stripe from Jamaica. Neither were very good.
Lots of good reasons to visit Belize, snorkeling, jungles, waterfalls, etc., but it is not a beer destination.

Sure glad to be back in the world of ice, snow and hoppy beers!
Joe Yoder

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

Re: The Beers of Belize

#2 Post by Dale Wheeler » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear of your shi**y beer experiences. Generally, it seems that the closer the equator, the crappier the beer. True?
Anyway, i think the warm weather would greatly outweigh a temporary shortage of palatable beer...
Dale Wheeler