Hop Hound Amber Wheat

Comments on commercial beers, meads, or wines.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

Hop Hound Amber Wheat

#1 Post by Bill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I got a single of this beer from the beverage rep while at Jocob Liquor Exchange in Wichita. It pays to hang out on Tuesdays when he's there late stocking up for their Wednesday discount day.

I guess this is the new iteration of the Sun Dog Amber Wheat from Anheuser-Busch sold under the Michelob moniker.

Aroma: sweet with slight apricot and citrus notes, can get some hint of the yeast

Appearance: The beer is bottle conditioned so it was a bit cloudy, but it was a nice straw colored beer with a good white head. Very small bubbles.

Taste: malty with minimal hop flavor in the finish with some biscuit and caramel. Rolled smooth other the toungue.

Body: pretty light on the body but crisp and high carbonation.

Pros: Not something expected from Anheuser-Busch. Its good enough to maybe bring some people away from the standard fair being offered. Would make an okay lawn mower brew.
Cons: I wasn't a fan of the after taste, the name Hop Hound is misleading and the mismatch of classic style label with the hip-looking dog in sunglasses wearing a neckerchief carrying Frisbee is just wrong. Reminds me of Poochie from the Simpsons

Rating: I'd give this a 5 out of 10 over all.

Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us