Lion Stout from Lion Brewery

Comments on commercial beers, meads, or wines.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

Lion Stout from Lion Brewery

#1 Post by Bill » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Lion Stout

I got a single of this beer at the Jacob Liquor Exchange in Wichita. It's from the Lion Brewery in Biyagama, Sri Lanka.

Aroma: Slight sweet aroma at first but then roasted malt, chocolate and coffee just like a good stout should. Maybe a hint of vanilla.

Appearance: No light passes through through this motor oil, 10w2000 I would think. Caramel brown head that's nice and thick. Head lingered throughout the tasting, no lacing but could have been the glass.

Taste: First taste was of cocoa that lingered and lingered and lingered, then some coffee on the exhale. Not bad but not exactly what I prefer in a stout. After letting the brew warm up a bit, more flavors came through and the coaco lightened up some, but still very present.

Body: Thick and creamy, no lack of body here. Acceptable bitterness in the after taste that took a few seconds to show.

Pros: Good for a roast-cocoa lover. Not to my liking but a good brew none the less.

Cons: The coaco paste that covered the middle of my tongue. Again, my personal preference, but still a good beer.

Rating: I'd give this a 6.5 out of 10 over all.

Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us