Cantillon, how do I love thee?

Comments on commercial beers, meads, or wines.

Moderator: Officers

Melonmon
Craft Brewer

Cantillon, how do I love thee?

#1 Post by Melonmon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Jeff and I tried the Cantillon Kriek Lambic with Tucker last night. Ooh la la! :bounce: It was everything I had hoped for and more. I had heard Justin from the Brewing Network rave about Cantillon so was thrilled to be able to try one of their beers. It had a beautiful pinkish red color and a strong cherry nose. But the taste – wow! The sour receptors on my taste buds went into overdrive, and I think my whole body puckered for an instant. Very dry, sour finish. I have had few Lambics, so don’t have much to compare it to, but this is more sour and tart than Lindeman’s, which is quite sweet. Like a dessert beer. This is brewed and bottled by Brasserie Cantillon, Brussels, Belgium.

We followed the Cantillon with the Kasteel Rouge, which was a cherry bomb, reminiscent of Luden’s cherry cough drops or Wild Cherry lifesavers, but in a good way. The color was a rich, ruby red. The nose was full of cherry, and the taste even more so. This was sweet, especially compared to the Cantillon, more on the order of New Glarus Belgian Red. We noticed that the bottle says it’s made with cherries and cherry juice added, which probably accounts for a lot of the sweetness. I enjoyed it immensely but couldn’t drink a lot in one sitting. Kasteel is brewed by Castle Brewery in Van Honsebrouck, Belgium.

Greenblood
Brewmaster

Re: Cantillon, how do I love thee?

#2 Post by Greenblood » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm

I also opened a bottle of the Cantillon Kriek last week. Really enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed, as I thought the cherry flavor was lacking. Still an outstanding beer. If you like the Cantillon, get your hands on Kriek De Ranke. I heard rumor of it coming to Kansas, but no sight of it yet. Can get it in KC though. My favorite Kriek thus far.
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

meisel
Craft Brewer

Re: Cantillon, how do I love thee?

#3 Post by meisel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Just opened a bottle to share with K. Fruity nose, I smell sour cherries with subtle medicinal/spice aroma, K gets hints of strawberries. Color is lovely pinkish red, hazy I assume from raw wheat in the mash and pectin in the fruit additions. Taste is very dry on the palate with heavy sour notes, slightly astringent mouthfeel. Subtle hints of brett come through, I get leathery notes and detect low levels of phenols. The sour component is really something. A great acidic balance with the cherries. Must have been quite a challenge to blend. I can see where one may want more cherries, but this is what I am looking for in a lambic. Sour beer first, then subtle fruit. Delicious.
The usefulness of opinion is itself matter of opinion.
Primum Brewery