Full Moon Winter Ale seasonal from Blue Moon Brewing Co.

Comments on commercial beers, meads, or wines.

Moderator: Officers

Mr. Blues
Homebrewer

Full Moon Winter Ale seasonal from Blue Moon Brewing Co.

#1 Post by Mr. Blues » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 pm

.....out of Toronto (yes, THAT Canada, eh?).

Granted, I'm not the best one to judge an 'abbey ale' style offering due to my love of hops, etc. (read other reviews for my preferences).

However, they make sure you know that this beer is 'brewed with roasted malts and a hint of dark Belgian sugar' not only once but FOUR times on the six-pack carton and THREE times ON THE LABEL!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, boys, I GET IT NOW!?!?!?!?!

..........& then I opened a bottle.

First thoughts..........at almost $7 a sixer, there's better out there for whatever convoluted style they're aiming at.

Next thought almost immediately after the first swig: where's the roasted malt?

Next thought less than a second after the second thought: Even though I don't care for lighter style, sweeter beers, there's not anything special (and NOTHING remotely approaching a 'winter', 'holiday' or 'later-in-the-year-when-more-maltier-spicier-brews-are tendered) about this tan-colored liquid.

Last thought after draining a bottle: There might be some folks out there who really get off on this concoction but after the description, I think I've been had!!!

Suffice to say I will be pawning off the other five bottles on willing participants or using them in marinades 'cause they're drinkable but DAMN it's nowhere near worth crowing about let alone close to the style after the built-up description.

Again that's just as may be me, due to my aversion to sweet, light brews but if you've got seven bucks to waste (in my opinion) then try it for yourselves. Me, I'll stick with the North Coast Brewing Companies' 'Pranquester' for a Belgian and Samuel Smiths' "Winter Welcome", Anchor Steams' "Holiday", the two Sam Adams (holiday and porter) or my own Holiday Humbug Mojo! for a 'winter' or 'spiced' style offering.

By the by, brewed up a batch of 'Mojo' last Saturday and based on the amount of malt, spices, total time it took the yeast to bloop-bubble-&-go-off-like-a-machine-gun I may have created the monster of all Mojos! Most Mojos were 6-8%, we may have a 9-10 this time!!!

BLOOP!