Whirlfloc Tablets

Reviews on equipment, chemicals, kits, etc.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

Whirlfloc Tablets

#1 Post by cyburai » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:20 pm

From the Beer Beer and More Beer website:

A blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form. Add 1 tablet per 5 gallons with 5-10 minutes left in boil. Everyone who has tried them won't go back to irish moss.

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16803

---

I tried this stuff last night for the first time. I was amazed at how well it worked. I had a nice solid break in the carboy while using a immersion chiller (with Irish Moss, I haven't had a good solid break).

The other thing I like is no measuring. Toss a tab or two into the boil depending on your volume. I chucked 2 tabs in with 20 minutes left. They floated to the top and started to come apart and dissolve.

Overall, it's worth the 25 cents I paid per tab for the ease of use and how well they worked.

Thumbs up!
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:50 pm

I agree.........its a form of super moss in a tablet. Also, with some of my research the directions say to use twice as much as really needed. But since its a homebrew thing, companies want to make money, so they package with the amounts. Actually, 1 tab per 10g is plenty from the research ive done. Ive done just that and it still works nice....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:48 am

Man, I'm sold! Where did you find those things? And what the heck do I do with all the Irish moss I JUST bought?

B3 and NB sells them.......i usally go w/ NB as they are 10z quicker in the shipping deptartment..

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by cyburai » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:14 pm

Here's some evidence of them working.. Good stuff.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company