Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 Dry Lager

Reviews on equipment, chemicals, kits, etc.

Moderator: Officers

johnpepin
Homebrewer

Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 Dry Lager

#1 Post by johnpepin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pm

Can anyone give me feedback about the results when using Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 Dry Lager yeast to make a Pilz/Helles/Dortmund ? I've used lots of Wyeast and White labs varieties but want to considering tying a dry yeast to make a 1.052ish pale lager.

Thanks,
John P.

bucketchemistry
Officer
Officer

Re: Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 Dry Lager

#2 Post by bucketchemistry » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:12 am

I gave this yeast a try over the summer on a light lager (1.043 OG) and it worked pretty well for me. It had a clean and healthy fermentation at 53F (ramping up mid way through). I especially like the high level of attenuation. I highly recommend pitching two packets per ~5gal batch (which is consistent with the pitch rate listed on the Fermentis data sheet, link below) and rehydrate. The data sheet also suggests using an even higher pitch rate if you want to ferment colder, but I found it fairly clean at 53F.

https://fermentis.com/wp-content/upload ... W-3470.pdf

I have more of this yeast in the fridge and plan another light lager followed by a repitch onto a Dunkel. Going to try 1.5 packets per 5gal batch (the bottom end of the recommended pitch rate) this time and go a bit warmer to see how it goes. If I remember, I’ll post how it goes later this year. :)

Cheers,
Jake
-Jake Jeffers

"I make the beer that I love and I invite ya to come and 'ave a pint.” -Stephen Kirby, Hogshead Brewery

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#3 Post by johnpepin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:56 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I'll try this one in Dec. and also let you know the results. Hopefully we trade a sample along as well for the all important, personal evaluation.

Thanks again,
John

bucketchemistry
Officer
Officer

#4 Post by bucketchemistry » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:24 am

I found this yeast well capable of diacetyl production. I probably rushed this batch, trying to finish in 3 weeks. A ‘rest’ was certainly achieved at 60 F for 3 days. A most interesting experiment, but not very tasty. Under proper conditions it might do well however.
-Jake Jeffers

"I make the beer that I love and I invite ya to come and 'ave a pint.” -Stephen Kirby, Hogshead Brewery

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#5 Post by johnpepin » Wed May 05, 2021 10:58 am

We'll it's taken a while but this yeast has really produced a good tasting Dortmund bier! I had the primary at 50F for 3 weeks them raised to 65 for a week and then lagered at 34 for about a month. The month wasn't long enough but I kegged it anyway, and have stored the keg at 45'ish for about 8-9 more weeks.

Gravity was 1.060 so it may have been a bit big, and really needed the longer time to balance out.
Finished at 1.015

Todays aroma malty sweetness, slight grainy, very little bready, and slight yeasty sulfur
Slight haze, mostly good golden color, tight white head that lingers on glass walls
Taste is malt forward, full bodied, drier finish that expected maybe due to a lingering hop taste
Overall, I like it, but would recalculate the malt to have OG around 1.055 and not change the hops.

I'll recommend the yeast, and try it again.
Cheers, John Pepin