Promash software

Reviews on equipment, chemicals, kits, etc.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Promash software

#1 Post by Jensen » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:53 pm

I was just thinking how wonderful and lazy, I mean easy, brewing is with Promash. Are there other software programs out there that people use? Any tricks or special uses for Promash that people might find interesting?

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:23 am

Ive got tons of experience w/ PM. I will say this tho, the interface is a little harder to move around in vs Beersmith and the current PM version is getting kinda old. Its rumored a update is on the horizen.....But,
a cool thing i like doing is say i punch in a recipe for 5g. but i want to do 10g. instead of the same beer, on the ingriedent window, clik the Lock ingriedents to batch size, then use the batch size arrow and select any gallons and the new ingriedent amounts will change automatically for you!!

Also, say you have some ingriedents that are not in the library. You can add those to you library. You will need the ppppg tho. Then when formulating a recipe, your particular grain and its gravity contribution is already in the library.

Any of the calculators are awsome as a stand alone quick reference or great as a imbedded calculator while formulating a desired recipe.

The calc. the gets most attention from me is the strike water amount and temp. By setting your Mash Tun Thermal Mass to 0.30 in the system settings, adding a few gallons of hot tap water in your MT to preheat it, then using this strike calc. you will hit desired mash temps right on the very first time!!......Ive got lots more, but this is a start.....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by cyburai » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am

I just started playing around with QBrew this weekend. It's open source, and subject to the limitations of being a non-commercial product. But it looks ok.

I will post what I discover in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.usermode.org/code.html
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company