Beer bread

Got a good recipe that uses beer, mead or wine? Post it here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

Beer bread

#1 Post by Greenblood » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

I made 3 loaves of this over the weekend, and I am nowhere near done with this recipe. It is extremely simple, can be prepped in 5 minutes, and is very flexible, allowing you to get creative with ingredients. You can bet on seeing several varieties of this bread at Brewfest.

Basic Beer bread recipe:
3 cups all purpose flour (If you don't have a sifter, spoon the flour into the measuring cups to measure. Don't pack the flour into the measuring cup.)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
12oz beer (11oz if you are like me and are incapable of opening a beer with out tasting it)
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat the oven to 375
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl
Add beer to the dry mixture while stirring
Grease a bread loaf pan with butter
Pour the mixture into the pan
Pour the melted butter over the mixture
Bake at 375 for 60 minutes

That's it!

Keep in mind that this bread is really easy to change up to make it your own. You can reduce or add more sugar or salt then try some of the following:

1. Add 1/4 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, and 3 chopped jalapenos to the dry ingredients. Top with 1/8cup cheese. Use pale ale or IPA. ( This is what I brought to Sean's house)
2. Mix 1/4 cup of cheese into the dry ingredients, then top the batter in the pan with a little more cheese. (Simple. I made this one today)
3. Add a little extra sugar, chopped dried apricots and nuts. Use Apricot Ale. (Making this tomorrow)
4. Add fresh or dried chopped herbs
5. Add cinnamon and extra sugar
6. Chive and cheddar
7. Jalapeno, cocked crumbled bacon, cheddar
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Re: Beer bread

#2 Post by Jensen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 pm

I can certainly vouch for this recipe. It was delicious, and you know if John can make it it has to be short-bus-simple! :albino:

Baron Ken
Homebrewer

Re: Beer bread

#3 Post by Baron Ken » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:58 am

Greenblood wrote:...
12oz beer (11oz if you are like me and are incapable of opening a beer with out tasting it)
Well, I have to taste too, but 1oz isn't enough of a taste. ;)