Has anyone made pretzel's and used lye ?

Got a good recipe that uses beer, mead or wine? Post it here.

Moderator: Officers

johnpepin
Homebrewer

Has anyone made pretzel's and used lye ?

#1 Post by johnpepin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:06 pm

At what strength ( amount ) do you use in the water ? Chemistry is not my thing but a warm salty pretzel and cool pils is driving my need to know.

Also, Can you use the same lye as a cleaner for the brewery ? Is the strength ratios the same ?

If you have any other thought's or warnings let me know.

Thank You,

John Pepin

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Re: Has anyone made pretzel's and used lye ?

#2 Post by Jensen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Wow, lye? Huffing gas or sniffing glue maybe... Spending the summer in a former iron-curtain country John? This pretzel mixture talk really scares me. Of course, I know even less. With all the Swamp-whatever-reality shows from down south on TV lately I am a little suspect these days, who knows, better life through science?

I will really like to watch this thread... and the king's taster for 48 hours!!! :alien: :alien: :alien:
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

JMcG
Brewmaster

#3 Post by JMcG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 am

link: http://sodium-hydroxide.com/lye-and-making-pretzels
Careful, that stuff can take your hide off! And DON'T GET IT IN YOUR EYES.
jim

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Jensen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Actually looks pretty simple.Wwhere does one attain food grade lye? If Hyvee doesn't I bet Orschlens does. i'll look into it.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by cyburai » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 pm

~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#6 Post by johnpepin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:17 pm

I've got a pound and would be willing to part with some of it. Just tell my wife I gave it all to you.

kevputo
Homebrewer

#7 Post by kevputo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:15 pm

I've had good luck using baking soda instead of lye. Here's the recipe I used:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

It calls for 2/3 cup baking soda in 10 cups of water. Gloves & goggles not required.

Caution: these disappear way too fast.
Kevin Hansen

klickcue
Brewmaster

#8 Post by klickcue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:33 am

johnpepin wrote:At what strength ( amount ) do you use in the water ? Chemistry is not my thing but a warm salty pretzel and cool pils is driving my need to know.

Also, Can you use the same lye as a cleaner for the brewery ? Is the strength ratios the same ?

If you have any other thought's or warnings let me know.

Thank You,

John Pepin
3% w/w (30 grams/1000 liters), which would be 30 grams NAOH (Sodium Hydroxide) (lye) in 1 liter H2O or about 2 Tablespoons per quart of water. Always add lye to the cool water. Stir with a plastic spoon until dissolved. Soak the pretzel in the NAOH solution for about 30 seconds. Remove and place on a lined pan with parchment paper not aluminum foil. Bake.

The taste of a lye pretzel is great and is what the artisan bakers in Germany do.

Work fully clothed including the feet! I use chemical rubber gloves to work with chemicals just like when working with Oxi-Clean. Nothing to be afraid of but use common sense. The grocery store dish washing gloves would work fine also. If you get some NAOH solution on your skin, rinse with water. It will have a soapy feeling. Vinegar can also be used to neutralize.

I used to work with 60% NAOH. Interesting stuff. If you get 60% NAOH on a pair of adult leather gloves you need to get them off quickly since they shrink in size to the point a baby could wear them.

Do not use lye with aluminum. Severe pitting and a reaction will start.

I use 1 Tablespoon of lye in 1 quart of water for general purpose drain cleaner in the sinks and bath. It keeps things flowing smoothly and will dissolve hair that collects in the shower or tub.

Sean's link below for food grade NAOH looks like a good deal.

You can also use food grade NAOH in the brewery if desired.

As with all chemicals whether acid or base, for the car or in the house, be careful and use common sense in their use.
Have Fun!

Chris

klickcue
Brewmaster

#9 Post by klickcue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Couldn't figure out what I had forgotten:
Cuff your gloves when working with chemicals. Numerous times in my career, I have had to empty the glove cuff.

These are not what I would use for full blown chemical use but are good for general purpose. The dish washing glove at the grocery store are also good for this purpose.

Would I be worried with 3 percent NaOH. Not really, just rinse it off with water. Don't get it your eyes.

I like my pretzels fat and plump. Scaled at 2.8 ounces at 24 inches is my norm. Scaled at 2 ounces at 24 - 27 inches would be more common. Split in half and spread with butter is excellent.
Don't get carried with the Kosher salt since a little bit goes a long way. Lye really adds a nice touch and the flavor is excellent after the chemical reaction with the flour has taken place. Notice the smooth texture with very little cracking of the crust.

And just an add for fun, my buddy:
Have Fun!

Chris

klickcue
Brewmaster

How lye works with Pretzels

#10 Post by klickcue » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Have Fun!

Chris

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#11 Post by johnpepin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:02 am

I've been using the Zymurgy recipe for years now and its great. I'd make sure to use stainless for your lye bath. I've fouled up cookware that was not stainless.
Here is their link: http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgr ... =&ver=&pp=

Its also available thru the AHA online.

I agree that a German pilz and a piping hot salted pretzel are hard to beat.

Prost,

John Pepin