Beer marinade for healthier grilling!

Got a good recipe that uses beer, mead or wine? Post it here.

Moderator: Officers

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

Beer marinade for healthier grilling!

#1 Post by Steve Brown » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Scroll down from here:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/WBL02399/Be ... html#three

Beer Marinade - Quick Tip for Healthier Barbeques
Barbeque season in fast approaching in the U.S. and although the tradition offers a lot in the way of social benefits, grilling foods has proven to be decidedly unhealthy. Fortunately, a group of European scientists have come up with a way to cut back on harmful polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), carcinogens that can form when meat is cooked on the grill or elsewhere at very high temperatures. The compounds have been associated with tumors, birth defects and reproductive problems in lab animals and with colorectal cancer in humans. The trick to reducing the PAHs in your barbequed steaks and chops, according to the research team, is to marinate them first in beer. The investigators from Universidade do Porto in Portugal reported that four hours of marinating meat in regular or nonalcoholic pilsner or dark ale reduced the PAHs in meat by slightly more than half compared with meat that hasn't been marinated. Overall, the researchers found that using dark ale (which contains more antioxidants than the other brews) cut PAHs by 53 percent. The nonalcoholic pilsner beer marinade cut PAHs by 25 percent and the regular Pilsner beer reduced them by only 13 percent. When the researchers performed their study, they cooked pork to well done on a charcoal grill.

Pentaquark
Homebrewer

Re: Beer marinade for healthier grilling!

#2 Post by Pentaquark » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

Well done?? That completely invalidates their results.
-Allen

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Jensen » Fri May 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Who the hell cooks anything well done? Carbon crispies? Of course, this absolutely cannot be good. I suppose wrapping the meat while it marinates in thermal paper is supposedly bad for you as well, huh Steve :)
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Steve Brown » Sun May 04, 2014 5:24 am

Good call on the well done. Because it referred to pork, I was reading it as "fully cooked" instead of dried like charred shoe leather. There's so much hysteria about HCAs and PAHs that gets revisited this time of year heading into grilling season. So I tried reading something. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... d-meats#r1

Unfortunately, I can't access full-text versions of the references online. There appear to be possible confounds between factors of temperature, time, smoke, etc., that may or may not be addressed in the primary literature. Anyone have real knowledge on this? I'll be passing up summer cookouts until I know....

Like that'll happen!

Also - marinading: for some items like better beef steaks, to me it's a crime to use anything but a little black pepper as seasoning.

Yeah, Jeff! I just toss the steak on the grill still on its shrink-wrapped styrofoam tray. Go BPA! Go CFC!