Wisconsin Style Brats and Beer

Got a good recipe that uses beer, mead or wine? Post it here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#1 Post by Greenblood » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:03 pm

Bratwurst on the grill-a true summer time classic. If you've never tried them like this, you don't know what you're missing. This is a great use for that Miller Lite somebody left in your fridge. I don't think the type of beer you use is really that important. I found this recipe on another club's website.

8 uncooked Bratwurst
1 large onion, sliced
12 ounces beer
Buns, Sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup

Combine Bratwurst, onion, and beer in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly and transfer to container with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning occasionally.

Grill Brats 4 to 6 inches from hot coals until well browned and completely cooked. Serve in buns with condiments.

Note: If desired, beer and onion marinade may be heated and grilled Brats kept warm in the marinade until ready to serve. Hot marinade may also be spooned over grilled Brats to serve. To heat, place in disposable foil pan on grill about 20 minutes before grilling brats.

There's really not much to it. I just put in enough beer to cover the Brats (it is usually more than in the recipe). Then throw it all in a Ziplock bag overnight. I think one of the keys is not to have your fire too hot, so they don't explode.