Looking for good spent-grain bread recipe

Got a good recipe that uses beer, mead or wine? Post it here.

Moderator: Officers

Jensen
Uberbrewer

Looking for good spent-grain bread recipe

#1 Post by Jensen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:10 pm

I have always heard of bread made from spent brewing grains, but have never had any. Anyone ever made, or know of, a good recipe for this brewing by-product?

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Greenblood » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:59 am

This recipe is from a Jayni's Kitchen episode. I haven't personaly tried it, but have considered making it. If you do try it, let me know how it turns out.

John

Spent Grain Bread

Ingredients

* 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
* 1/2 cup warm water
* 4 cups bread flour
* 1 cup wheat flour
* 2 cups spent grain*, ground
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cups warm water
* cornmeal
* 1 teaspoon olive oil

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water

In a large bowl, combine the bread flour, wheat flour, ground spent grain, sugar, salt, butter, egg, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the dissolved yeast. Slowly stir in 2 cups of warm water until the dough begins to hold together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size. Punch the dough down, reshape it into a ball and return it to the bowl. Cover and let rise for another hour, until doubled. Punch the dough down and divide it into two portions, cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle cornmeal on two baking sheets. Shape the dough into 2 loaves, place them on the baking sheets and let rise until they double in size, 40 to 60 minutes. Bake the loaves in a 350 oven for about 35 minutes, or until done. When the loaves come out of the oven, brush each lightly with olive oil. Makes 2 loaves.

*Spent Grain: When making all grain beer save the grain, store it in plastic storage bags and freeze. When baking bake bread, grind the grain in a food processor before using.

Recipes by Paula Pepin.

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

spent grain bread review

#3 Post by Dale Wheeler » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:13 pm

This is a great recipe. Made it today after brewing an amber. Excellent flavor and eye appeal.
Modifications:
no need to further grind the spent grain.
add the 2 cups of water at the end a little at a time. With the moisture from the spent grain, i ended up adding less than 1 cup of water.
Use a Kitchenaid if you have it, it's a heavy dough to stir and knead by hand.
I baked it in two 9 x 5 loaf pans instead of a flat pan. About 35 minutes baking time, perfect loaves.
We'll definitely make again. Enjoy.
Dale Wheeler