Panty Drop Lemonade

List your favorite brewing recipes here.

Moderator: Officers

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

Panty Drop Lemonade

#1 Post by BourbonDrinker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Figured I should repost this here for posterity.

I've been doing a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy (so I don't tie up my 6 gal. primary).

This was adapted from a 5-gallon recipe found on HomeBrewTalk.com

Sanitize where appropriate.

Ingredients:
  • 10 cans lemonade concentrate (important---no potassium sorbate) - original recipe called for 8 cans and I used this many in my first batch, but I didn't think it was lemony enough.
  • 1.6 pounds white cane sugar
  • 0.8 pounds Light Dry Malt Extract
  • Dry yeast (champagne yeast had good results with a nicely fizzy carbonation), liquid yeast smack pack would work too
  • Pitcher of mixed up lemonade (if doing a yeast starter)
  • Extra DME for yeast starter
  • 3.4 oz. of corn sugar for priming if bottling
I strongly recommend a yeast starter with DME (not included in qty. above) 24+ hours before. Let the yeast get going good (6+ hours). After this gradually add 1/4 cup lemonade to yeast starter every 2-3 hours, repeating 4-6 times. This will (theoretically) allow yeast to adjust to high acidity.

Boil 4-6 cups water with sugar for 15 minutes.
Slowly add DME to water. Boil for 10-15 minutes until DME is dissolved (being careful not to boil over).
Cover and cool wort.

Add lemonade concentrate to carboy. Fill water to about 3 gallon mark.

Add wort.

Top off water to 4 gallon mark.

Pitch yeast after carboy has reached room temperature.

Let the yeast do it's thing. My first batch took 7 days before showing any sign of fermentation. Spent a total of 24 days in the primary carboy. No secondary, racked right into bottling bucket. My second started fermenting after 3-4 days. It's been in the carboy about 13 days now. I'll start taking gravity readings in a few days.

During fermentation, the lemonade never really clarified with my first batch, and the citrus pulp in the carboy sure worried me because it sometimes looked like something was growing on top---but it was just the citrus pulp floating near the top. The lemonade recipe has a LOT of pulp floating in there (1.5+ inch). After bottle conditioning the lemonade clarified a lot.

To bottle, I primed by boiling 2 cups water and adding 3.4 oz of corn sugar.

Bottles spent 7 days at room temperature and were thoroughly carbonated by this time. Check at one week and judge for yourself.

The hard lemonade was a bit boozy when it was young. After being in the fridge for 3 weeks the hard lemonade greatly improved. After about 6-8 weeks in the fridge the stuff really go great.

That's about it. Fairly simple recipe.
Devin Zell
Head Drinker, BourbonDrinker.com

Jdl973
Brewmaster

Re: Panty Drop Lemonade

#2 Post by Jdl973 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 pm

Zell,

Just made a 5 gallon batch of Panty Drop. Made a small method modification and the yeast seamed to like it a lot:

Took:
1 gallon water
1 lb DME
1 can frozen lemon aid concentrate

-> Boiled all for 20 min, chilled it in an ice bath.
-> Transferred to 2 x 1/2 gallon glass jugs with gas locks (I broke my 1 gallon jug :( ). Added one package of 1118 Champagne dry yeast to each jug.
-> Let yeast sit for 15 min. After 15 min, shook the begebers out of them and put a magnetic stir bar in each. Returned gas lock and placed on stir plates for 24 hr.
-> After 24 hours, boiled 2 lb of Cain sugar in about 1/2 gallon of water. Cooled and added it to carboy. Added remaining 9 cans of frozen lemon aid concentrate (thawed) to 6 gallon carboy, added 3 gallons water, mixed well and then added both yeast starters. Filled with extra water to the 5 gallon mark. Fermenting at 62F

After 24 hours, there are signs of a very robust fermentation. I think adding the can of lemon aid and DME to the yeast starter at the very beginning help it adapt to the acidic environment. When the starter was added to the main batch, it took off like a shot.

Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe.

Jason
BEFORE THERE WAS MATHEMATICS, RELIGION, PHILOSOPHY OR CULTURE...THERE WAS BEER.

In Primary:............. None (how sad is that?)
In Secondary:..........None...see above
On Tap: ..........Barley Wine from 2006, BGSA from 2006...

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by BourbonDrinker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:15 am

I'm very interested to see how yours turns out. I started my third batch about two weeks ago (because batch 2 was gone way to quick). Batch 3 took seven days before showing signs of active fermentation (scary), even with a prepared starter (a small starter). Seven days later the fermentation is still going strong. It's funny though, it is fermenting very actively but looks like it's carbonation. I can see CO2 bubbles rolling us the side of the carboy, which I've never noticed before while making this

As a note, I think increasing the lemonade in my 2nd batch resulted in a drink that was too tart, so for my third I backed off the lemonade to the quantity originally called for (10 cans for a 5 gallon batch).

When I bottle batch 3 I plan to add a quantity of non-fermentable cherry extract.

I'm going to make a 4th batch and keep it strictly to the recipe.

For batch 5, however, I'm wondering about trying pink lemonade.
Devin Zell

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Jdl973 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:13 pm

zell,

I checked on the lemon aid this morning (48 hours) and it is going like gangbusters. The yeast has a nice crimson forming and bubbling like crazy. I think the large starter and addition of one can of lemon aid to the starter decreased the lag time for the batch. six more days and we will see if it worked.

I thought about using pink lemon aid, but i could not see much difference in the ingredient list other than "pink goo" on the labels i looked at.

The cherry additive sound wonderful! where do you get your extracts and how much do you add per 5 gal?

Jason

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

#5 Post by BourbonDrinker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:38 pm

I found a non-fermentable cherry extract at NorthernBrewer.com. It comes in a small bottle and recommends the entire bottle for a 5-gallon batch.

My lemonade is fermenting great now (over a week in). I can't believe how many CO2 bubbles are rolling us the carboy. Fun to watch.

I was thinking of using pink lemonade so I could dub it something even more obscene like 'Show Your Pink Panty Drop Lemonade'...

The Cherry Lemonade will have to be dubbed 'Cherry Poppin Panty Drop Lemonade'.

:lol:

-Devin
Devin Zell

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Jensen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:29 pm

BourbonDrinker wrote: I was thinking of using pink lemonade :lol:
-Devin

Devin, Devin, Devin.

Jdl973
Brewmaster

#7 Post by Jdl973 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:05 am

Devin,

Cheeky...i like. so it be dubbed.

My next batch will be Cherry Poppin Panty Drop Lemonade