January 1999

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

January 1999

#1 Post by Greenblood » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:40 am

LBG Holiday Party 1998
This year's Guild holiday party, an all-around success, was held at the Ecumenical Christian Ministries (our new meeting venue) on Friday, Dec. 11. Good cheer abounded as Guild members, families, and special guests partook of much food and beer. Nearly everyone brought an entree or side dish, from home-made pretzels to black bean quesadillas. More than a dozen members brought several different examples of homebrewed beer.

Being Guild secretary, the V.P. twisted my arm behind my back until I agreed to take note of each beer. From left to right along the wall were displayed kegs and bottles of Irish Stout, I-Don't-Like-Fruit-Beer-But-This-Ain't-Bad Apricot Ale, Cherry Stout, America's Best IPA, Big Brew Barley Wine, Mocha-Java Stout, Root Beer, Black-Cherry Vanilla Porter, Alstaat Alt, Old Ale, Bock, Cranberry, Ian's Winter Warmer, and (finally) Rassberi-Vanilla Porter.

As you can see, if you weren't there-ya missed out!

Rob Johnson
Secretary

Kansas City Biermeisters Competition

It would be great if we represented our club in two ways at the upcoming competition in Kansas City on February 19-20.

1) Send in your entries. I tasted a lot of great beer at our Christmas party! I think we should see how they do in competition. It's always been interesting to me to read the judges' opinions and tweak my next batch accordingly. I've learned a lot by doing it. And who knows-your entry might WIN!

2) Serve as a steward or a judge. Even if you're not a certified judge, if you make yourself available, they most likely will accept you to judge an early round or two. I did this and learned more about the style I judged than through all the reading I'd done prior to it. And serving as a steward for the judges gives you opportunity to taste an incredible range of beer styles.

Either way, it's fun, and you'll definitely grow as a brewer. I have four excellent shipping boxes, compliments of Ken Godwin. I can coordinate the shipment. Think about it before our January meeting, Let's get some entries in!

Dale Wheeler

Find out more about the Kansas City Biermeister's Competition at their web site

Cooking With Beer
Sweet-Hot Beer Mustard

I found this recipe on another clubs web site. It was recommended to use a strongly flavored beer like a bitter stout or hoppy ale. I used Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Makes approximately 8 ounces

1/4 cup dry mustard powder
1 Tbs. prepared horseradish
1/3 cup aggressively flavored beer
1/2 tsp. tarragon or thyme
2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
2 egg yolks beaten
scant 1/4 cup sugar

Whisk together all but the egg yolks. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes. Whisk in the yolks and place over a double boiler. Cook on medium-low until thickened, whisking constantly. Cool. This will keep up to three weeks in the refrigerator.

Pete Clouston

Brewing Tips

* Don't boil specialty grains! It's probable that you'll extract tannins from the husks. Instead, just place your ground grain into a saucepan and cover with cool water, letting it sit for a few minutes. Add enough additional water to replace what was absorbed, and slowly heat to about 160 deg. F. Let it sit for a few minutes, then strain it into your wort, rinsing with an addtional 2 quarts of water at about 170 deg. F.
* Buy the freshest, highest-quality ingredients you can find and afford. Your beer will never be better than the ingredients you use, and given a choice, I would buy less expensive equipment in favor of better ingredients.

Mary Samuels, Section Leader, General Home Brewing
Compuserve's Bacchus Wine and Beer Forum

Discount Days at Bacchus & Barleycorn
LBG members receive a 10% discount from Bacchus & Barleycorn, December 11-16. Please show membership card or bring newsletter. Bacchus & Barleycorn is located at 6633 Nieman Rd. in Shawnee (913-962-2501).