April 2000

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

April 2000

#1 Post by Greenblood » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:37 am

Minutes of the March Meeting

Cleanup Crew: John, Dwight, and Chris

Members in Attendance: Dwight, Joe, Ellen, Harley, Sherry, Pete, Barry, John, Chris, Doug, Rob, Xan, Chuck, Derek, Jennifer, Andrew, and Kelvin.

Treasurer's Report: We have a balance of $642.45, but we owe $50.53 to Dwight for the corned beef, and we just paid ECM $20 for tonight and $25 for the St. Patrick's Day Party.

Old Business
Yeast Bank: No new yeast.

BrewFest Committee: No news, committee will meet before next meeting.

Library Books: Need $65 for new books. Motion passed.

St. Patrick's Day Party: to be held March 18th from 5:30PM. Mead seminar presented by Jackie Rager will kick off the celebration. Club will provide the corned beef, cabbage, and vegetables. Postcard to remind members will be sent out ASAP.

Seminar Committee: Mike Porter from the Kansas City Bier Meisters has offered to do a seminar on RIMS brewing for the April Meeting.

Cybervillage: Barry made flyers for the Lawrence Public Library Cybervillage. Thanks, Barry!

New Business

Big Brew 2000: is set for May 6th at Joe Yoder's house. This year's style is American Pale Ale, recipe details can be found here We need a catchy name for our group, so if you have any ideas, please see Joe.

LBG Apparel: Several people have inquired about getting more LBG apparel. Xan has the catalog of available products from Midwest Graphics and will get some prices for the next meeting. Barry would like to re-design the logo, so we may consider doing this in time for the BrewFest.

Seminar: This month's seminar was Internet Resources for the Homebrewer presented by Rob Dewhirst. Despite the delay due to the student gathering and equipment problems, the seminar was very informative! Thanks, Rob!

Beer Contributors:
Barry: Porter
Doug & Chris: Imperial Stout
Dwight: Big Bertha Pale Ale
Joe: California Common, Stout, & some Anchor Steam
Pete: Pale Ale and Stout
Andrew & Doug: Pale Ale
Rob: R^2 Wheat
Chris: Old Ale & Milk Ale

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR HOMEBREW!

Meeting Adjourned.

Commercial Tasting: Irish/Red Ales

Goose Island Kilgubbin Red - Chicago (1 vote)

"Thin, but roasty" - Barry
"Roasty" - Andrew
"Smoky, grain smell" - Joe
"Synthetically smokey" - anon. (OK, who's giving me anonymous quotes??)

Boulevard Brewing Irish Ale - Kansas City (0 votes)

"Medicinal taste, like Band-Aid" - Barry
"Kinda disgusting...." - Ellen
"Not good" - Andrew
"The last swallow was yuck" - Dwight

Portland Brewing MacTarnahan's Scottish Style Amber Ale Portland, Oregon (11 votes and WINNER)

"Dry" - Rob
"Crisp, carbonatey" - Xan
"Little rounder in flavor" - Barry
"Not particularly great" - Andrew
"Nothing fascinating, but better" - Ellen

Crested Butte Brewery Red Lady Ale - Crested Butte, Colorado (0 votes)

"Undistinguishable" - Chuck
"Citrus taste" - Rob
"Sour" - Barry
"Ugh" - Kelvin

Xanthippe Stevens
Secretary

Commercial Beer Tasting Schedule
Pete has come up with a tentative schedule for the year's commercial tastings. If you have a particular interest in some other styles, let him know soon.

April-American Brown Ales
May-Bock
June-Steam Beer (Since Anchor is probably the only one available around here, we'll taste all Anchor products and talk a little bit about the history of the style and the brewery.)
July-German Lagers (lighter colors-Helles, etc.)
August-Wit
September-IPA
October-Something Belgian (maybe dubbels or tripels? This might get a little expensive, but how often do you get to drink them!)
November-Dopplebock (or other high-gravity brews?)
December-Holiday Brews

Drink Your Cholesterol Away
According to an article in the March 30, 1996, issue of Science News, Danish scientists have explained why our French cousins have lower rates of heart disease even though they have high cholesterol concentrations in their blood when compared to groups of people with similar cholesterol levels. It was well known that the French drink oodles of wine, so some Danish dude thought there might be a connection. He figured that the French have high concentrations of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in their blood, which is a major risk factor for heart disease. This researcher examined the relationship between LDL cholesterol and drinking alcohol, and their effects on the frequency of first heart attacks.

He took 2,800 Danish men and followed them from 1985 to 1995. Of the 20% of the men who had the highest DL levels, 16.4% of those who never drank developed heart attacks within 6 years. Of that same 20%, only 8.7% of the regular, moderate drinkers (as many as three drinks per day) had experienced a heart attack in the same amount of time. For men who drank more than three drinks a day, the rate dropped to a mere 4.4%. For those men in the lowest LDL level group, drinking alcohol had no significant effect on the rate of heart attack risk.

Many physicians are now recommending a drink with dinner for their patients who are at high risk for heart disease because of this study. Some stodgy old bag at New York University is outraged that people who do not drink are being encouraged to do so, citing drunk driving, violence against women, and gun-related accidents as the "enormous social impact of alcohol on society." Her recommendations include exercise, no smoking, and improved eating habits to combat heart disease.

Some Swiss researchers jumped on this and wanted to find out why alcohol has this effect on LDL levels in the blood (Science News, April 4, 1998). They think that alcohol may slow the growth of cells inside the walls of blood vessels. Eight healthy young men were fed a high-fat\ breakfast of zwieback toast, butter, and jam on two mornings a week apart.

On one of those days, the men also drank a glass of water with ethanol added that was the equivalent of three beers. On the other day, they drank the same amount of unspiked water. Their blood was sampled every 30-60 minutes over eight hours. The breakfast itself stimulated a large increase of cell growth that lasted for more than eight hours. However, the increase was 20% less when the alcohol was consumed as part of the meal. The Swiss researchers are now going to do similar experiments for different meals and with varying amounts of alcohol to see if the trend holds.

Sherry Holub

Cooking With Beer
Pale Ale Cheese Spread

I brought this to the last club meeting. I used yellow New York Cheddar and a homebrewed pale ale. I made it in a blender. Makes about 2 cups.

2 oz. Blue Cheese
1 oz. Fresh American chevre or other fresh goat cheese
6 oz. aged New York State white cheddar or other sharp cheddar, diced
1 oz. Philadelphia-type cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup hoppy Pale Ale

Process all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. If spread is too thick, add a little more beer. Pack into a crock or small bowl, and let sit several hours or overnight in the refrigerator before using. Serve at room temperature.

Source: Real Beer and Good Eats, Alfred A. Knoph, Inc., 1992

Pete Clouston

American Beer Month Slated for July 2000
The Institute for Brewing Studies (IBS), with the help of its brewery members and state brewers guilds, has selected July of 2000 for the first annual American Beer Month. American Beer Month is a national promotional campaign designed to raise awareness of the variety and quality of American craft beers.

American Beer Month was created last October during the Great American Beer Festival when IBS members and state craft brewers guilds met to brainstorm possibilities for a national craft beer advertising campaign. Knowing the necessary funds for national-level advertising would be difficult to raise, yet nonetheless eager to channel the industry's collective grassroots energy into a new campaign, the group of 50 asked the IBS to move forward with American Beer Month.

American Beer Month will provide many different avenues for celebration and promotion. State brewers guilds will organize beer festivals and beer dinners. Individual brewpubs, microbreweries, and regional breweries will organize their own events, inviting other restaurants and breweries to partner with them, or will highlight their own examples of American brewing and American beer cuisine. American Beer Month can also be embraced by companies in the business of selling beer, such as wholesalers, taverns, and beer retailers. All events will be united under the American Beer Month umbrella, thereby creating instant recognition with consumers.

The IBS will promote American Beer Month by working with other associations including, of course, brewers associations and state brewers guilds, but also wholesaler, retailer, and restaurant associations; barley and hop growers; and suppliers of packaging materials. In addition, the IBS will offer American Beer Month promotional packages to participating organizations. Packages are available by contacting the IBS. The IBS will also compile a calendar of events listing American Beer Month-related functions throughout the nation on the www.beertown.org web site.

Submitted by Xanthippe Stevens

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed.

Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their families, their hopes and dreams.

If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered.

Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Submitted by Ken Godwin

Discount Days at Bacchus & Barleycorn
LBG members receive a 10% discount from Bacchus & Barleycorn,April 10-15. Please show membership card or bring newsletter. Bacchus & Barleycorn is located at 6633 Nieman Rd. in Shawnee (913-962-2501).