June 2012

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Steve Brown
Brewmaster

June 2012

#1 Post by Steve Brown » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 pm

LBG Minutes – June 2012

Business Meeting
New people – Randy, and Frank. Welcome!

Clean-up was by Paul, Anita, Wanda, Cindy, and many more. Thanks!

Librarian – Jeff went over check-out procedures.

Treasurer – we have about $7000.

Secretary – No new word from Madison regarding Great Taste tickets.

QM – There’s now an equipment calendar on the forum. Upgrades to the ten-tap include a recirc pump through the towers.

Trip to Blind Tiger and Tallgrass is scheduled July 14. We plan to leave at 9:30am from the parking lot of the former outlet mall near the entrance to the turnpike in north Lawrence. We’ll take Jeff of Tallgrass to lunch in Manhattan, tour Tallgrass at 1:00pm, tour Blind Tiger on the way back.

Brewfest committee heads: Logistics – Rob will get the folder; Beverages – Andy and Frank announced that the new and improved online donations form is ready to go; Music – Joe ran the seminar! Brewfest bands are: Lonnie Ray Blues Band, Rumble Jets, Truckstop Honeymoon, Dean Monkey & the Dropouts, and Lance Fahy. Please follow the threads online and prepare to volunteer to help!

Muggs for Juggs is Saturday starting at 6:30. It’s a free-will donation event to benefit Komen for the Cure. Sides accepted. Catered BBQ, live music, home brew.

Pints for Pets was a resounding success. It raised more money than in past years, food and beer ran out (additional beer provided by Russ, Jeff, and Angelo). Due to the success and positive impressions on the neighborhood, next year the event will be expanded to a mini-block party!

KCBM mead tasting is tonight (Friday, June 15). Details online.

Christmas party – the space at the Old Train Depot is reserved.

Tasting
This month’s tasting featured a comparison between hops provided by Blind Tiger – Rakau, Nelson Sauvign, El Dorado, and Calypso. Angelo brewed four lighter pale ale/tame Pliny beers with one variation to allow comparisons. OG 1.049/50 – FG 1.010. All used 28g Magnum at 60 minutes for bittering, then 30g of the test hop varietal added at each of the10-minute, 5-minute, and dry-hop additions.

Seminar
Joe invited Lance Fahy to lead us in some beer-themed sing-alongs. We sang “I like Beer” – Tom T. Hall; “In Heaven There Is No Beer” – Siegel and Neubach; “Mercedes Benz” – Janis Joplin; and “The Legend of Dragonfly Rye” – Lance Fahy.

Everyone sang in tune, so now that we know some lyrics any time there is a public gathering of LBG members, by plan or by chance, we can spontaneously break into song, and lead nearby folks as well!

Upcoming events:
*Watch the forum for info on the next barrel brew.
*June 15 – KCBM Mead Tasting.
*8th Annual Muggs for Juggs: June 16, 6:30pm. Fundraiser for Komen Race for the Cure. BBQ by KB, band, keg donations and a side.
*Great Taste of the Midwest: August 11.
*Brewfest 17: Sept. 22.

Thanks to everyone who brought snacks!
Life begins at 100. 100 IBUs, that is!

"Hard work may not kill you - but why take the chance." -- B. Franklin

rodocker

Re: June 2012

#2 Post by rodocker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm a new member who joined last month, and I'm unable to attend this month/this week (July).
I would like to join the caravan to Tallgrass and Blind Tiger.
Could someone please e-mail or repost the particulars?
Mahalo,
Mark Aaron
rodocker@gmail.com
(602) 620-0999
Mark Aaron & Darcie Thompson
T&A Unltd.

Quaffing: nil
Tapped: nil
Primary: nil
Secondary: nil
Bottle Conditioning: nil
Kegged:nil
On deck:

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: June 2012

#3 Post by Frank » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

If you paid your dues at the last meeting you need to send a PM to "cyburai" because you need access to the members only section of the forums because that's where the trip info is. Also if you are a paid member send a PM to "Rob Martin" about the trip he is the trip overseer.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry