April 2001

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

April 2001

#1 Post by Greenblood » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 am

Announcements

May 5, 2001: AHA Big Brew 2001 at Joe Yoder's house. Come and brew one of the four "authorized" recipes listed on the AHA website (or brew anything for that matter) starting anytime after midmorning. There is a nationwide synchronous toast at 12 noon (CDT). Joe is providing a grill right after, so bring something to throw on it, a side dish, and the beverage of your choice. Those not brewing, as well as family members, are also welcome (and encouraged) to come over and join the fun!

June 2, 2001: This year's much-anticipated 6th Annual Brewfest 2001 will be held again at Clinton Lake. Events typically include live music, home-brew, barbecue and fixin's, volleyball, games for the kids, and a brewing demonstration. The entry fee to this public, family event was $15 in the past, which entitled you to a mug created especially for the occasion. Although plans are still in the works, this year's Brewfest should offer a similar opportunity to come out and enjoy the summer weather as well as a little home-brew More information will be forthcoming in future editions of the newsletter.

June 20-23, 2001: National Homebrewers Conference, 2001: A Beer Odyssey. Los Angeles, CA. Includes lectures & workshops, the AHA National Homebrew Competition, pub crawls, outdoor festivals, and awards banquet. Register online.

August 11, 2001: Great Taste of the Midwest, Madison, WI. Second-largest beer festival in the U.S., and some say the best. Tickets go on sale May 1. More information online.

September 27-29, 2001: Great American Beer Festival, Denver, CO. Tickets go on sale July 1 online, August 15 elsewhere.

In the brew pot...
I found Rob Dewhirst's recent e-mail to the LBG mailing list very disturbing. It had to do with recent attempts by the State and some municipalities to pass a law (SB 328) requiring liquor store owners to give each keg they sell a unique ID number and maintain records of their keg sales. From what I understand, the law is aimed at curbing underage drinking at keg parties (I suppose the police will take the records and visit every keg party to check ID's?), but as Rob points out the language is sufficiently vague that it could, if needed, be used against homebrewers' use of cornelius kegs as well. I would like to reprint a few of Rob's comments here to try and open a dialog on this issue among LBG members:

[The language of the law is] in the context of commercial beer kegs, but the wording is vague enough it is not hard to envision [this law being] applied to private beer containers.

In the best case, if you use commercial kegs to store beer, they would need to be tagged by the state or you would need proof they are not of retail origin.

In the worst case, corny kegs would need to be tagged or banned, keg conversion that removes the state ID tag would be illegal, and suppliers will stop giving Kansas homebrewers converted equipment. [. . .]

I DO think that this is yet another nuisance blue law that we have to be aware of in Kansas. As such, I am encouraging you to write to your state representative and senators encouraging them vote against keg registrations, or include exclusions for private beer supplies.

Unfortunately there are a lot of these types of laws passed on the federal, state, and local levels of government. In an attempt to protect the rights of others--in this case, the "rights" of minors at keg parties--certain other freedoms, which were not originally intended to be included, are negatively impacted. University communities like Lawrence, with their abundance of keg parties, are being directly and unfairly targeted.

I recently joined the American Motorcyclist Association, one of whose purposes is "to help ensure that discriminating laws [. . .] will not slip past unnoticed," only to discover that they are fighting against the implementation of the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which makes it illegal for an insurance company to discriminate against those engaging in legal recreational activities such as motorcycling, horseback riding, skiing, etc., but is sufficiently vague enough to allow the insurance companies to deny paying benefits to a covered individual who sustains an injury while engaging in one of these activities. Fine, but what does this have to do with homebrewing? Exactly the fact that the AMA is actively opposing unfair laws that negatively impact its ca. 270,000 members and their special interest.

It was not really that long ago--within the span of most of our lives--that homebrewing was illegal. If we want to protect ourselves against regressive laws that whittle away at our right to brew at home, we may want to consider, as members of the LBG, engaging in a little activism. Rob's idea to write our elected officials is a great one, but perhaps we can go one step further. To use a clich?, there is strength in numbers, and an opposing stance of organizations such as the LBG and other homebrew clubs in Kansas may go a long way towards bringing the potential problems of the above-mentioned law to the attention of Kansas lawmakers. So in that vain, I would like to suggest that, at the next meeting, a committee be formed to draft three different letters:

* a letter to be sent, on behalf of the LBG, to the Kansas and Lawrence municipal lawmakers voicing our official opposition to any law that negatively impacts our right to own and use cornelius kegs,
* a letter to other Kansas homebrew clubs urging them to do the same, and
* a form letter which every member could simply sign and stick in the mail to their legislators.

Hopefully, if there are enough voices in opposition, the legislature will either not adopt such a law or at the very least exclude private beer supplies from consideration.

On a lighter note, whenever I decide to brew, my first question is, "What would I like to brew this time?" In case you are faced with that dilemma, I would like to offer a few timely possibilities. In a few weeks, the sweltering heat of a Kansas summer will be upon us as well as the ubiquitous yard work that accompanies it. Now is a great time to brew that lawnmower beer to quench your thirst. If it's an ale, it can ready by June, and if a lager, by August. Heck, why not brew both? That way there will always be something in the 'fridge.

Prosit!

Glenn Hudspeth

April Seminar
There was no formal seminar for the month of April, but rather a round-robin discussion of brewing techniques.

Minutes of the April 12, 2001 meeting

Old business

Cleanup Crew: everyone present volunteers.

Attendance: What they brought:
Dale Wheeler
Pete Clouston Smoked porter
Barry Fitzgerald Belgian Abbey and Trippel
Ellen Jensen
Xanthippe Stevens Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Joe Yoder Muddy California common
Brian Hanks "Who's in the Garden" Grand Cru
Glenn Hudspeth Pale ale
Rich Deviney

Brewfest 2001 is Saturday, June 2, 2001. Rich is working on the band. Joe has reserved the pavilion (next to a group of Topeka holy-rollers). Joe will brew. Dale is going to take care of the meat and the beans. Everyone should bring a side dish (not beans). Ellen and Xan will do paper plates, napkins, and utensils. Someone needs to ask Derek Osborn about the trough, as well as Dwight Burnham about the tents and tables. Barry will generously create the mug design again, and Ellen will check on the ordering of the mugs.

New business

Further plans for Brewfest 2001: The LBG asks that as many members as possible brew a batch of beer for the Brewfest this year because with the reduced membership numbers, every keg is going to count. In the past there were around 14-16 kegs present at the festival. The following people have agreed to brew and bring these beers (if your name is not on the list, please volunteer):
Name: Will bring to the Brewfest:
Pete Clouston 5-gal stout
Ellen Jensen & Xanthippe Stevens 5-gal mystery beer
Joe Yoder 5-gal pale ale, 5-gal root beer
Brian Hanks 5-gal keg (out-of-town, but will brew something)
Glenn Hudspeth 5-gal pale ale
Rich Deviney 5-gal IPA

Possible future trips: Several members expressed an interest in possibly organizing trips to the Blind Tiger in Topeka, the Little Apple Brewery in Manhattan, the Taste of the Midwest in Madison, WI, and to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, CO.

Thanks to Dale Wheeler for donating a how-to book on mead making to the club library!

Tastings: Belgians
Home-brew example: Barry Fitzgerald supplied two delicious examples of the many styles of Belgian beers: an Abbey and a Trippel. Recipes below.

Commercial examples (all blind tastings):

1. New Belgium Abbey Ale in the "Dubel" style. Members judged it to be rich, malty, raisiny, clovey, Weizen-like but clear. Members voted unanimously that it was an American example, and 4 out of 7 rated it their favorite of the two commercial examples.
2. Affligem Abbey Ale. Members judged it raisiny, not as clear, with a card-board quality. Unanimous vote that it was a Belgian example. 3 out of 7 rated it their favorite of the two commercial examples.

Articles & Brewing Information
California Beer Report by Pete Clouston

The past two winters, I have been fortunate enough to be sent to San Diego on business. During our time off, I searched out some of the great beers that can only be found on the left coast. There were so many beers that I had heard about or wanted to try. I did my best to sample quite a few, but there were still many I missed (maybe they'll send me back again next year!).

One brewery you should definitely seek out if you are in California is Anderson Valley. If the rest of their lineup is anywhere near as good as the two beers I sampled, I would have to rank them as one of the top breweries in the US. Their Hop Ottin' IPA is everything you could hope for in an IPA-a full blast of hops (all Columbus, I believe) backed up by a solid malt backbone. The Barney Flats oatmeal stout has won all kinds of awards. It has a great creamy, roasty flavor with a pretty good dose of hops.

San Diego's own Stone Brewing has a full line of beers as well. They are known for their Arrogant Bastard Ale. The marketing of it is kind of cheesy, but it is a good beer. I call it an Amber IPA. I has an amber color and malt sweetness, but the alcohol content and hops of an IPA. I also tried their Pale Ale one evening with fish tacos, the local delicacy, and found it rather unremarkable.

I love Barley Wines, so whenever I find one, I snatch it up. Stone's Old Guardian is right up their with Bigfoot and the other top of the line Barley Wines. Not quite as hoppy as a Bigfoot, it seemed a little more balanced to me. They won a silver medal at the 2000 Great American BeerFest, and it is easy to see why. I also brought home a bottle of Moylan's Old Blarney Barley Wine from Marin County. It seemed a little on the sweet side to me (perhaps not fermented out all the way), but it still was a decent beer. Alesmith wins the award for best packaging. Their Old Numbskull Barley Wine came in a 750ml champagne bottle, corked and capped, then sealed with wax. This small brewery specializes in big beers. A little on the pricey side, but a solid offering.

Before my trip this year, I had brewed a smoked Porter, so I really wanted to try a couple of smoked beers that I had heard about. Alaskan Smoked Porter is considered by many to be a classic example of a smoked beer. They smoke the malt over Alder wood in a salmon smokehouse. It has a pretty heavy smoke flavor. Stone's smoked Porter used peat smoked malt. It wasn't quite as smoky as the Alaskan. My smoked Porter was very similar in flavor.

It may seem strange to drink imports when so many good American craft brews are available, but California also offers a variety of German and Belgian beers that aren't available in the Midwest. Last year I enjoyed Diebel's Alt on draft with the ubiquitous fish tacos. I've heard some people say bad things about this beer, but I enjoyed it. It was copper colored with a malty profile and fairly hoppy for a German beer. This year, I bought a bottle of Kostritzer Schwarzbier (or black beer). True to it's name, it pours black and has a rich malty flavor without any roasted or burnt stout-like flavors. I'm not sure what type of malt they use to get that dark color.

Some other odds and ends include Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic in Northern California. A solid IPA, maybe not as good as the Hop Ottin' but very close. Full Sail's Imperial Porter featured a higher alcohol content (7% abv) than a standard Porter (similar to the difference between standard Stout and an Imperial Stout, hence the name). Very chocolatey and extremely drinkable. I finished my trip off this year with a Karl Strauss Brown Ale in the airport. This chain brewery seemed to be held in contempt by the local beer aficionados, but for an overpriced beer in a plastic cup it was pretty good. Nice and malty with a good hop bite.

If you ever make it out to the West Coast, there is a bonanza of good beer to be had. Hopefully this report will give you a heads up on some things to look for.

Recipes

Barry's Belgian Abbey Ale, Barry Fitzgerald
O.G.=1.060, F.G.=1.016

7 lb. Alexander's ultralight LME
1 lb. Aromatic malt
1 lb. Carapils malt
1 oz. Black patent malt

1/2 oz. Columbus pellets, 14 aau, 60 min.
1/4 oz. Northern brewer hop pellet, 6.5 aau, 15 min.

1/2 tsp. Irish moss

Whitelabs Trappist ale yeast (wlp500)

Heat 2 gal. H2O to 165 F. Add grains and store in 170 F oven for 30 min. Remove grains and sparge with 3/4 gal. 165 F H2O. Add LME. Bring to boil. Add Columbus hops and boil for 45 min. Add Northern Brewer hops and Irish moss and boil 15 min. Remove from heat, cool, transfer, aerate, and pitch.

Barry's Belgian Trippel Ale, Barry Fitzgerald
O.G.=1.078, F.G.=1.018

6 lb. Alexander ultralight LME
3 lb. light DME
1 lb. Candi sugar

1 oz. Hallertauer hop pellet, 6 aau, 60 min.
1 oz. Saaz hop pellet, 2.8 aau, 1 min.

1/2 tsp. Irish moss

Whitelabs Trappist ale yeast (wlp500)

Heat 3 gallons H2O to boil. Remove from heat. Add LME, DME, and sugar. Skim hot break foam. Add Hallertauer hops and boil for 40 min. Add Saaz hops and Irish moss and boil 20 min. Remove from heat, cool, transfer, pitch, and aerate.

Smokehouse Porter, Pete Clouston

3 lbs. British 2 Row Malt
3/4 lb. British Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. 130L Crystal Malt
1/2 lb. Peated Smoked Malt
1/4 lb. CaraPils Malt
4 lbs. Alexander's Pale Malt Extract Syrup
1 lb. Munton's Light DME

1.5 oz. Northern Brewer leaf hops 8.8% AAU (60 min)
.5 oz. Northern Brewer leaf hops 8.8% AAU (30 min)
.5 oz. Willamette leaf hops 5.2% AAU (15 min)
.5 oz. Willamette leaf hops 5.2% AAU (5 min)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Mashed grains for 1 hour in 6 2/3 qts. (w/ 1 tsp. gypsum) 152 deg. water for 1 hour. Sparged with 2 gallons (w/ 1 tsp. gypsum) 170 deg water. O.G. 1.054 F.G. 1.022

Recent Beer News
Bit bites A-B's Bud
APR 28, 2001 - US brewer can't use 'American Bud' name in Germany

Florida may ease bottle law
APR 23, 2001 - Senate votes for measure to lift size restrictions

John Harris receives Schehrer award
APR 14, 2001 - Full Sail brewer among those honored by IBS

Guinness strike suspended
APR 13, 2001 - Workers walk out Thursday, but to resume production today

Liquor lobby backs .08%
APR 11, 2001 - Beer industry won't endorse tougher law, but won't fight it

Tour de Fat II
APR 11, 2001 - New Belgium bike ballyhoos scheduled for eight cities

Thief picks off beer recipes
APR 4, 2001 - Scottish police think man didn't know what he had

Boston Ale crowned in Finland
APR 3, 2001 - Samuel Adams beer shines at Helsinki Festival

Rock Bottom top-selling brewpub chain
MAR 30, 2001 - Brew Brothers remains No. 1 individual brewpub

Czechvar to expand sales
MAR 28, 2001 - Beer passes test in California, moves into more states

Copyright 2001 by Real Beer, Inc.

Discount Days at Bacchus & Barleycorn
LBG members receive a 10% discount from Bacchus & Barleycorn, May 7-12. Please show membership card or bring newsletter. Bacchus & Barleycorn is located at 6633 Nieman Rd. in Shawnee (913-962-2501)