July 2002

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

July 2002

#1 Post by Greenblood » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 am

Announcements

July is American Beer Month. American Beer Month is a grassroots campaign to promote American brewing and celebrate the diversity and variety of American beer. The Association of Brewers has a website at www.americanbeermonth.com with ideas for celebrating. So be patriotic and drink an American Beer!

Minutes of the June 13th meeting

BrewFest
We spent the June meeting looking back on the BrewFest, reviewing the things that were successful, and discussing things that needed improvement.

Numbers:

151 Adults
3 Kids
116 Prepaid Tickets
13 Walk Up Tickets
The remaining tickes were comps

These numbers aren't exact. It was suggested that next year we assign someone to take charge of the sign in sheet.

Suggestions:

* Do a better job of communicating with the crowd (introducing the band, announcing homebrew demo, etc.). Perhaps we should use a microphone?
* Generator for electric power.
* A cap on ticket sales to limit attendance to around 150.
* Make sure all members participate in some way during the day (helping with food, door, etc.).
* Having food catered. Most people thought no.

Rob suggested creating a book with documentation covering all the aspects of setting up for the BrewFest (Beer, Food, Entertainment, etc.). Rob, Dale, and Jeff agreed to form a committee.

Beer Serving Ideas:

Move commercial beer out for people to serve themselves. This would reduce delays in line because people couldn't make up their mind. We would then need two stock tanks to keep kegs cool.

Setting up a separate beer appreciation bar serving small samples. A member would act as an educator to explain differences in flavors, ingredients, etc.

New Business
Due to lack of attendance, Ben Johnson was "impeached" from his position as Vice-President and replaced by Rob Dewhirst.

Commercial Tasting: Fruit Beers
This month's beers were American fruit beers. Each beer started with an American Wheat base to which fruit or fruit flavoring was added. The beers were not tasted blindly this month.

Beer 1: Abita Purple Haze

"Raspberry, too carbonated for me but fits the style."
"Minimal fruit nose"
"Very clean, dry finish. Refreshing."
"Unremarkable, not enough fruit."
"Empty finish"
"Nice balance of fruit, wheat and hops"

Beer 2: Pyramid Apricot Beer

"Much fruitier than the Abita, hops less perceptible."
"Nice apricot nose. Clean taste. Not overpowering."
"Too much fruit. Nice fruit flavor, but overpowering."
"Apricot nose, sweet flavor. Clean finish."
"Cloudy, amber. Too much apricot? Better than Abita."

Beer 3: Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss

"Red, clear pop. Boone's Farm? Too sweet."
"Too sweet for balance, too sweet in finish."
"Way too sweet for beer."
"Very sweet. Where's the beer?"
"Not enough wheat beer coming through."

What to do with the leftover Leinie?

I had one Leinenkugel Berry Weiss left over from the tasting. It is way too sweet for even me to tolerate. So I followed the advise Dwight Burnham gave me years ago regarding what to do with beer you can't drink: Cook with it.

Leghorn Leinie

1 fryer chicken cut up, or 4 chicken breasts
1 bottle Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss
1/2 teasp. Powdered garlic
1/2 teasp. Tabasco sauce
1 teasp. Thyme
1/2 teasp. Hot pepper flakes
1/2 teasp salt
1/2 teasp fresh ground black pepper

Place chicken in a dish. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, pour over chicken. Marinade for at least 2 hours. Grill over medium coals.

Notes: The fruit beer added a definite note of sweetness to the chicken. The lack of hops in the beer allowed the mild sweetness to come through. I think this would also work using cider as a base. I'd make this recipe again if I ever have fruit beer in the house again.

Submitted by:
Dale Wheeler

Recent Beer News from RealBeer.com
Bin Laden beer banned
JULY 1, 2002 - Romanian drinkers say it was 'better, cheaper'

Space beer
JUNE 28, 2002 - Russian scientists create non-alcoholic brew for cosmonauts

Carling, Worthington headed to U.S.?
JUNE 24, 2002 - Coors may import brands to acquired from Interbrew

Big and small win in World Cup
JUNE 12, 2002 - Miller grabs most medals, but Wisconsin brewpub has 6 of its own

Copyright 2001 by Real Beer, Inc.

Discount Days at Bacchus & Barleycorn
LBG members receive a 10% discount from Bacchus & Barleycorn, July 8-13. Please show membership card or bring newsletter. Bacchus & Barleycorn is located at 6633 Nieman Rd. in Shawnee (913-962-2501).