August/September 2002

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Greenblood
Brewmaster

August/September 2002

#1 Post by Greenblood » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:49 am

Editor's Notes

It's been another hot summer, and I know a lot of people don't like to spend their day over a boiling kettle of wort in the heat of July and August. We also have a couple of new parents in the club (congratulations). So brewing probably hasn't been on a the top of the "things to do" list for a lot of people. But now that fall is almost here, I hope the interest will rev up again.

This month's Newsletter is rather slim. The minutes for the July meeting never materialized, and there wasn't a big crowd in August, so no business was conducted. I do have the tasting notes for July, as well as a great recipe with beer as an important ingredient. I hope to see everyone at the September meeting.

Pete Clouston

Commercial Tasting: Special or Best Bitter
This month's beers were Special or Best Bitter. There was one homebrew mixed in with the three commercial beers. The beers were tasted blindly.

Here are the Beer Judge Certification Program style guidlines:

Aroma: Hop aroma can range from high to none. Diacetyl and caramel aroma moderate to none. Moderate fruitiness. The best examples have some malt aroma.

Appearance: Medium gold to medium copper-brown. May have very little head due to low carbonation.

Flavor: Diacetyl and fruitiness moderate to none. Malt flavor apparent. Medium to high bitterness. Some crystal malt flavor and a moderate amount of hop flavor are common. Balance varies from even to decidedly bitter, although the bitterness should not completely overpower the malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation low, although bottled examples can have moderate carbonation.

Overall Impression: A flavorful, yet refreshing, session beer.

History: Originally a draught ale served very fresh under no pressure (gravity or hand pump only) at cellar temperatures. Note that recently some British brewers have been using American hops (e.g., Cascade), but beers made like this fit better into the American pale ale guideline.

Comments: More evident malt flavor than in an ordinary bitter.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, crystal malt, English hops, often medium sulfate water is used.

Vital Statistics:

OG: 1.039-1.045

IBUs: 20-45 FG: 1.009-1.014

SRM: 6-14 ABV: 3.7-4.8%

Commercial Examples: Young's Ramrod, Fuller's London Pride, Adnam's Suffolk Extra, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Shepherd Neame Masterbrew Bitter, Goose Island Honkers Ale, Spanish Peaks Black Dog Ale, Nor'Wester Best Bitter.

Beer 1: Young's Ram Rod

"Butterscotchh type flavor, light hop, malty."
"Copper, slightly fruity."
"Slight caramel, bitter front, clean middle."
"Nice, clean, a little hopiness."

Beer 2: Dwight Burnham's Best Bitter

"Salty, stronger hops"
"Strong, nasty chemical flavor."
"Diacetyl front, slight sourness."
"Too dark, slightly infected"

Beer 3: Goose Island Honker's Ale

"Not very hoppy, malty, English."
"Caramel front, clean dry middle and finish."
"No hops. Malty, but thin. American."
"Best flavor of the first three."

Beer 4: Fullers London Pride

"Sweet and fruity, caramel."
"Caramel/diacetyl nose, bitter finish."
"Buttery, good flavor."

Cooking With Beer
Here's a couple of great recipes from the website of Bridge Port Brewing of Portland, Oregon. Serve the grilled shrimp on the slaw for a fantastic shrimp salad. The next time that I make this, I was thinking of putting some cucumber in the slaw.

HOISIN BBQ SHRIMP BASTE WITH AMBER ALE

* 1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
* 1/2 Cup Amber Ale (I used Flying Dog Amber)
* 2 T Soy Sauce
* 1T Olive Oil
* 1T Grated Ginger
* 1T Chopped Garlic

Whisk together all ingredients and chill for ten to twenty minutes. Marinate one pound peeled and de-veined large shrimp or prawns in 2/3 of the sauce and baste when grilling with the remainder.

ASIAN SLAW

Combine Together in a Large Bowl:

* 1 Lb. Shredded Cabbage
* 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (Finely Chopped)
* 2 Chopped Green Onions (Bias Cut)

Whisk Together:

* 1/2Cup Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
* 1T White Granulated Sugar
* 1t Grated Ginger
* 1 T Sesame Seeds (Toasted Until Golden in 350 Degree Oven)
* 1T Sesame Oil
* Salt and Pepper to Taste

Toss Sauce With Vegetables and Chill for Thirty Minutes. Garnish With Extra Toasted Sesame Seeds. Excellent base salad for Hoisin BBQ Shrimp.

Recent Beer News from RealBeer.com
Scottish beer rules GBBF
AUG 6, 2002 - Caledonian's Deuchars IPA wins Champion Beer of Britain

Born-on date: 2400 B.C.
AUG 2, 2002 - Kirin makes beer from recipe in Egyptian wall paintings

Schell buys Grain Belt brand
JULY 23, 2002 - Classic Minnesota beer moves to New Ulm

Beer good for sex life
JULY 22, 2002 - Czech doctor says two beers a day may fight impotence

Copyright 2001 by Real Beer, Inc.

Discount Days at Bacchus & Barleycorn
LBG members receive a 10% discount from Bacchus & Barleycorn, September 9-14. Please show membership card or bring newsletter. Bacchus & Barleycorn is located at 6633 Nieman Rd. in Shawnee