April 2007

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

April 2007

#1 Post by Bill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Seminar:
In place of a seminar this month Prez Sean Belden and All-Around-Good-Guy Jeff Jensen talked about podcasts and gave a brief description of what they are and some of their favorites.
Anyone looking for podcast tech support please contact Chuck Ferguson. He?s got the down-low on these things.
Check out the ?Beer / Brewing Podcasts? sticky in the General Discussion in the LBG Forums.
Lawrence Brewers Guild Forums <-- it's a link, click it

Announcements:
Sean said that if you joined the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) they were offering a choice of three books free with your new membership. I checked their website (www.beertown.org) and I didn?t see the offer any more. They were offering ?Brew like a Monk?, ?Pale Ale?, and I think the 3rd choice was ?Bock? but I?m not sure on the 3rd one. I got 'Pale Ale' by Terry Foster.

Craig Cottingham said that he may be able to get people discounts on their AHA memberships. If you would like to know more about that, you will need to contract Craig directly. You can do that through the Yahoo! Groups forum.

Don announced that he will be doing an extract brew demonstration at Ale n Vino in Topeka on the 21st. I went and saw Don for a while. I also saw Gordon there as well. I did my duty and spent $20 on stuff I didn?t know I needed.
We need to get out to these demonstrations and show our support for the Guild. This event was not publicized much, but future ones will be.

Old Business:
Maifest (This was the last meeting before Maifest)
May 4th, 5th and 6th. Campers are welcome on Friday (after 4pm?) to help set up and catch up with people. Camping is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED on Saturday. Campground must be empty by Sunday afternoon, I?m not sure on the departure time.
Members were asked to remember to bring a side dish or dessert. The Guild is paying for meat, buns, condiments and tableware.
Bands are TBA.
Volunteers will be needed to help bag ice a few days before the event. I believe Andy Booth will the person looking for help.
We will need people to be there on Friday night to help set things up and to determine who will take up positions for beverage, food and any other process that need to be taken care of.
This is not a members-only event and there is no cost, but keep the number of guests down to acceptable levels. GLASSWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE TO CARD HOLDING MEMBERS ONLY. Guests will need to bring their own glassware. Plastic cups should be available.

BJCP:
No updates.

Sunflower Challenge
The Guild's AHA-sanctioned competition, will be held 03 Nov 2007 at the Union Pacific Depot in Lawrence.

New Business:
Replace the Omaha trip with a trip to KC to ?see the T-Bones?. Will be discussed further at next meeting.

Renaissance Festival (RenFest) Competition:
Date TBA.
RenFest will be broken down into two events over two days. Tasting will be moved away from all the dust and the Jousting pit. We will up the number of commemorative glasses to be sold. Vice Prez John Monaghan has been in touch with the powers that be w/ the RenFest Lords n Ladies.

Tasting:
Tasting was Steam/California Common Ale. I have to apologize, but that's all I wrote down. I know one was Anchor Steam.

Odds and Ends:
Cleanup:
John Pepin and Larry (didn?t catch last name)

New Faces:
A lot of new faces in the chairs this month. I?m easily distracted by food and beer, so I may have completely messed up your name or skipped you all together. RDWHAHB
Todd Foster
Colbreth (one I?m completely messing up)
TJ Williams
Tyler
Kay n Leo
Pat with Don (Tileman)
Russell Brickell

Brew Fest
Already? damn. A BrewFest book needs to be compiled to aid us in producing this event successfully and consistently every year. Sean asked if anyone had gotten anything for this, well, manual I guess we could call it.
We need to get everyone that volunteered for a job last year to briefly document what their job was and what it took to get it done. Lists of contacts, supplies, processes and anything that was needed to get your job done. It doesn?t have to be a thesis, just write down what you did, and be as detailed as you want. Sean, I?m limiting you to 5 pages.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us