April 2008

Monthly Meeting Minutes will be posted here.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

April 2008

#1 Post by Bill » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:52 pm

Seminar
Chuck directed the meeting towards welcoming the new members to the guild by discussing what the guild is about and why we do what we do. He discussed the openness of the guild and how everyone is willing to help anyone wanting to learn the basics or have you over for a co-brew session.
He next went on to discuss brewing pod casts and mentioned The Brewing Networklinky, he also discussed Jamil?s book Brewing Classic Styles (co-authored by John ?How to Brew? Palmer).
He brought several brewing books for people to look at and made sure everyone was aware that the guild has a public library for the members to be able to check out. Go to the Forums to check out a book.
Click Here for the Library

Tasting
The tasting this month was Alts. Alts are listed under BJCP class 7 Amber Hybrid Beer. Click Here for the BJCP Style Guidelines.
For Dusseldorf Altbeir on brewwiki Click Here
There were three tastings. First was a commercial brew, an Uerige Alt. Click Here for their Web site.
The next two were Dusseldorf Alts brewed by vice president Shane Lynn (wow, that's weird to say). They are from the same batch but were split between two different yeasts. One was with Wyeast 1007 German Ale and the other with Wyeast California Common Ale yeast.

Announcements
Sean announced that he wants to do another barrel brew. He knows someone that is willing to buy a barrel in return for 5 gallons of the final brew.
There was some interest but no decisions were made. This will also be posted in the forums as more comes to light.

Old Business

Maifest
When: Saturday, May 10th. 10am - Till you close your eyes.
Where: Bloomington West Campground
Driving Directions from Lawrence.
Large Area Map -> http://tinyurl.com/eted7
Detail Map -> http://lawrencebrewers.org/gfx/bf2k4map2.jpg yes, I know it says Brewfest

Maifest is the second weekend in May. We do have the camp ground starting Friday night until Sunday afternoon. We are going to need to get some coordination of tasks on this. Remember, this is a club-only gathering, our private party before Brewfest. We discussed whether non-members would be able to attend, and the final decision was to keep this a club only event. If you feel strongly against this, please be sure to attend the next meeting so it can be discussed further.

We will also be participating in the Big Brew National Home Brew Day on Saturday the 10th. Big Brew day is always the first Saturday of May so it is technically the week before, but its the thought that counts, right?

We are in need of committees and committee chairpersons:
Logistics: This is for getting tables, tents, ice, coolers etc.
Beverage: This is for setting up the brews, getting donated beer, ice troughs. Are we doing any commercial brews? I hear John Dean has a Maibock on.
Entertainment: This is Joe. Joe, he's the man.
Food: this is to get the amount of food needed ordered, prepared and delivered, charcoal, wood (if we are smoking meat). This includes any cooks.

Everyone needs to bring a side dish. A sign-up sheet will be started on the forums.
Maifest Side Dish Sign Up

Someone asked if we also have a Junefest, Julyfest, so I figured I've give a little background on Maifest.
Every year "Maifest" is celebrated throughout Germany, to welcome the arrival of spring.
Traditionally, a few days before the first of May, a group of young men go into the local forest to select a tree to bring back to the village. All the branches are removed and only the top (crown) is left. The crown symbolizes fertility and is an important part of the tree.
The tree is then placed upright near the town square, where it is decorated by the local women. Wreaths, garlands, local crests and carvings will adorn the "Maibaum" to show off the history and craftsmanship of the village. On May 1st, people celebrate "Maifest", while singing and dancing around the "Maibaum".

2007 Brewer of the Year
Brewer of the year is going to be voted on in the forums, same as last year. We will need to get a list of nominations. The award will be presented at Maifest.

Treasury Report
$4081.11 in the here kitty kitty
Xan announced that she has receipts for grain order and she has the cards.
Memberships are $16 for a single and $24 for a family. Family includes 2 adults and yer rug rats.
Laminated member cards were handed out. A huge thanks to Zach Staats for creating this years cards. The cards are awesome. Check out his site at www.peaceloveart.com.

New Business

Club Brew
New VP Shane brought up that he wants to push a club brew this year. Using the equipment out at Andy's we can do a nice club brew. Sounds like we need to start on the details and get things rolling.

Club Trip
Shane wants to go to Tall Grass. What is Tall Grass? Tall Grass is a brewery in Manhattan.
There are several options out there for us, got an idea? Submit in the forums or actually bring your butt to a meeting!

Odds & Ends

New Faces I always slaughter names in this section so forgive me.
Jerry ? Showed up because he heard it was a good time. He is currently brewing doing brown, wheat AG 20 gallon batches. 5-8 years.
Nate ? friends with ?these guys here?. They said it was a good time so I showed up. He?s watched ?these guys here? brew a few times.
Dillon ? Hi, I?m Dillon and I?m an alcoholic. Done one gallon of Mr. Beer, got divorced and she took it. Ready to move up to AG doing Porter and Stouts.

Clean up
Nate and one of ?these guys here?
Matt Bechtold
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us