kegerator setup

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

schwiz
Little Beer

kegerator setup

#1 Post by schwiz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 pm

Can someone explain kegerator parts to me like I'm 5? I have a fridge and a c02 tank. But I'm not really sure what to get when it comes to regulators and hoses. I know I want a regulator or a chain of them that can put out multiple different PSIs so I can serve and carbonate kegs off of the same tank. I also want to do root beer which I hear takes a much higher PSI than regular beer. I can't seem to find info on the different kinds of disconnects for the air and fluid hoses, this is the thing I am wanting to learn about the most. What kind of hoses/disconnects should I order? I signed up for a business account with FOXX but the selection they have is overwhelming at best. Can someone help me design a system

At a high level this is what I want out of the setup.

D style keg on tap
ball lock/ pinlock style keg on tap
separate psi for each keg

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: kegerator setup

#2 Post by Frank » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:18 pm

This is pretty easy to get through, although not so much online. I have designed/help designed several serving systems. I'd be happy to get you through the design. I am leaving town for the weekend Thursday morning so it would have to be before or after that.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

schwiz
Little Beer

#3 Post by schwiz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:42 am

Awesome, here is what I've come up with so far. All I am missing is the tubing. I'm not sure which tubing and parts to buy in order to connect my regulator and couplers. Can anyone help with this?

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Frank » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:27 pm

So. Again this process has so many variables sitting down to discuss is ideal.

Taps -
With the 4' tap you'll need a disconnect.

Disconnects with check valves-
I haven't found that that 7 plus dollars per disconnect is any more effective then an 3 dollar upgrade on the regulator output.
I suggest 07C07-115 Gas, 07C07-116 Liquid instead.

Sanke Connector-
You're going to need the following.
04B03-135 x 1
04B03-132 x 1
04C03-318 x 2

Regulators-
It seems as if you carbonate at the same pressure that you serve at, as is proper practice. How many gas ports do you need? I always suggest 2 per tap. This allows a keg to be "getting ready" while one is already on tap. In your description you describe that you want two different output pressures.
Do you plan on storing the gas cylinder inside the refrigerator? If so there's no reason to have a "primary" reg attached to the bottle then 2 "secondary" regs. This set up is about $30 more then it needs to be.
I would suggest 03D03-147. The shutoffs are nice and worth while additions.

Finally.
08P05-112 is the standard bev line.
08A05-124 is the standard gas line.
I would suggest using Oetiker clamps
06G08-184 and 06G08-183 respectively
Where ever you have a disconnect to line connection you'll need a swivel set.
04C03-265 - Bev sized set
04C03-293 - Gas sized set
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

schwiz
Little Beer

#5 Post by schwiz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info!
FDillon00 wrote: Do you plan on storing the gas cylinder inside the refrigerator? If so there's no reason to have a "primary" reg attached to the bottle then 2 "secondary" regs. This set up is about $30 more then it needs to be.
Yeah I just bought a giant tank (I think its 50#) off of Robert Winn at the last meeting. Its is about 4.5 feet tall so its not going to fit in the fridge. So this is why I had the primary single regulator and then the secondary double. I guess I pulled the trigger a little soon on the tank maybe I should have got a smaller one. Also, yeah if you want to sit down and go through this stuff before I make any more purchases that would be great thanks for the offer.

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Joe Yoder » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 am

Best thing that I ever did was get tap handles for the outside of the fridge and drill holes in the side for mounting. Cobra taps are a mess. And with them inside the refrigerator, the inside of the refrigerator becomes a mess. Drilled a hole in the other side to bring the gas into the refrigerator, so that would work with your large tank.
Good luck, it is a fun project. Gathering the supplies takes the longest time, once you have them, they go together pretty easily.
Joe

schwiz
Little Beer

#7 Post by schwiz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 am

Joe Yoder wrote:Best thing that I ever did was get tap handles for the outside of the fridge and drill holes in the side for mounting. Cobra taps are a mess. And with them inside the refrigerator, the inside of the refrigerator becomes a mess. Drilled a hole in the other side to bring the gas into the refrigerator, so that would work with your large tank.
Good luck, it is a fun project. Gathering the supplies takes the longest time, once you have them, they go together pretty easily.
Joe
Thanks for the feedback. I've been on the fence about putting taps on the door. I think there will be some pros and cons either way. On one hand it saves me a little money and I have fewer holes to drill in the fridge, and much easier to clean. On the other hand you gotta let all the cold out to get a draw and it leaves a mess inside as you say.

JMcG
Brewmaster

#8 Post by JMcG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 pm

If you decide on taps, instead of cobra hose, I have four never-used-in-the-box Kegco brass/Chrome ones you can have cheap: $5 apiece.
jim

schwiz
Little Beer

#9 Post by schwiz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

Frank did you want to get together a bit sometime this week?