Yeast starter question for lagers

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

Yeast starter question for lagers

#1 Post by Dale Wheeler » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:07 am

We're planning to brew a couple octoberfests this fall and I know that you need a lot more yeast than with ales. Some recipes I'm reading suggest up to 2 gallons of starter.
So how do you make a 5 gallon batch and still add 2 gal. of starter? Do you crash the starter and just pitch the slurry?
Also, do you build up the starter at fermentation temp (approx 45 deg) or at room temp?
Any advice is appreciated from those with experience making lagers.
Dale Wheeler

JMcG
Brewmaster

Re: Yeast starter question for lagers

#2 Post by JMcG » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:59 am

I don't make that many lagers, but, generally, you'll want twice as much yeast for a standard strength lager as a standard ale fermentation.
Just make twice as much starter as usual. Starters can be fermented warmer to encourage growth/division, but then cold crash and decant the starter beer and pitch the slurry.
jim

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#3 Post by Rugger1978 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:03 am

I do a multi-step starter for all my lagers. I do 15 to 20 gallon batches so it usually takes 2 steps then pitch into wort. I use http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ for roughly calculating how much I need. If you don't have a big enough flask, then you will need to cold crash step 1 and decadent off the beer before adding new wort. It is recommended to cold crash and decadent off wort before pitching into main batch, but I typically schedule in such a way that my 2nd step uses actually wort from the beer I am making. Then I can pitch the entire thing straight into it.

People might argue that it's not important, but I do a lot of lagers, I mean a lot and I can tell you that pitching enough lager yeast plus very good oxygenation is critical to lagers dependably finishing out correctly. I also heavily recommend cooling your wort to 45 degrees Fahrenheit before pitching yeast, then slowly raising the temp to 50 over the course of a couple days. This will keep you from having to do a diacetyl rest at the end and from my experience does create a better lager.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

Rugger1978
Craft Brewer

#4 Post by Rugger1978 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 am

I would like to add, I typically stick to the same German Lager yeast for all my beers, so after the initial starter and beer ferment, I re-use it for up to 3 additional batches so the multi-step process is only the first time.
Jared Rudy
Fat Back Brewing
On Tap: Irish Red Ale, Vienna Lager, American Wheat, Belgian Triple, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Hard Cider
Primary: Oktoberfest-Marzen
Kegged/Ageing: Russian Imperial Stout, Oktoberfest-Marzen
Next Brew: Vienna Lager or an IPA

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:50 am

Also dont worry about making your lager starters cold. You are making yeast not beer. I mention this because its a common question.

I also like the yeast calc Jared posted better than Jamil's. Jamil's is good but I've found his pitching rates higher than what is actually needed.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Rugger1978 wrote:I do a multi-step starter for all my lagers. I do 15 to 20 gallon batches so it usually takes 2 steps then pitch into wort. I use http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ for roughly calculating how much I need. If you don't have a big enough flask, then you will need to cold crash step 1 and decadent off the beer before adding new wort. It is recommended to cold crash and decadent off wort before pitching into main batch, but I typically schedule in such a way that my 2nd step uses actually wort from the beer I am making. Then I can pitch the entire thing straight into it.

People might argue that it's not important, but I do a lot of lagers, I mean a lot and I can tell you that pitching enough lager yeast plus very good oxygenation is critical to lagers dependably finishing out correctly. I also heavily recommend cooling your wort to 45 degrees Fahrenheit before pitching yeast, then slowly raising the temp to 50 over the course of a couple days. This will keep you from having to do a diacetyl rest at the end and from my experience does create a better lager.

So much this.....And always pitch your starter at the same temp as your wort.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

johnpepin
Homebrewer

#7 Post by johnpepin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Dale, also keep in mind that the total fermentation time is longer. Initial fermentation for my lagers is typically a month. Then a slow cold secondary. Remember relax don't worry, have another homebrew.

John P.

Dale Wheeler
Craft Brewer

#8 Post by Dale Wheeler » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the excellent advice. We're going to start in November. I'll report back.
Dale Wheeler