Bourbon Barrel Porter

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

BourbonDrinker
Craft Brewer

Bourbon Barrel Porter

#1 Post by BourbonDrinker » Thu May 15, 2008 8:39 am

I'm really darn excited about my next brew. At the end of this lengthy message I'll tell you about the bourbon! The description for the kit from Norther Brewer reads like this:

Mike Ward, NB's shipping manager, devised this recipe by adding bourbon-infused oak cubes (plus the bourbon) to a stronger-than-average robust porter. Cryptic tasting notes indicate that this may have been the best beer ever. You supply the bourbon; Mike recommends Maker's Mark. The intense aroma and flavor of toasted American oak and the sweet graininess of good bourbon meld with the bittersweet roastiness of porter to make for a very characterful beer.

Yesterday the kit arrived and this is definitely the most complicated brew I've attempted. 2 pounds of chocolate, dark crystal and malt grain to steep before the boil. 2 pounds of wheat dry malt extract, and 6.5 pounds of dark malt syrup to add before the boil, and 3 additions (Chinook and Argentina Cascade) to add during the boil!

Still reading? Here's the kicker! Last night I took charred oak cubes and starting soaking them in an ounce of 2007 George T. Stagg (the best whiskey in the world---winner of nearly every top whiskey award imaginable). The oak cubes will soak in the Stagg until I add the Stagg cubes + 16 ounces of Eagle Rare 10-Year bourbon whiskey to the secondary fermentation.

Now you're interested, huh?! I'll post updates as the brew progresses. It's going to be a long wait indeed!
Devin Zell
Head Drinker, BourbonDrinker.com

JamesonHuckaba

#2 Post by JamesonHuckaba » Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 pm

Sounds absolutely incredible.

The only bourbon porter I've ever had is Goose Island's rendition. But as we all know, proper ingredients, well executed, make an insanely awesome product...

Best of luck!

-Jameson