Meeting Locations

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

Meeting Locations

#1 Post by cyburai » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:36 pm

We met in March at the Unitarian Fellowship, south of Lawrence. It was decided to meet there in April also at the meeting.

The ECM had scheduling conflicts for January and February which caused problems for us, since our group is regularly having 30-35 people in attendance for the meetings.

I started this thread to open up the floor to other places that may be willing to host us on the second Thursday of every month.

Here's the requirements;
Must be able to keep our existing meeting date and schedule (7pm)
Must have a space that can handle 40 or so people.
Chairs for everyone.
No problems with us bringing in Homebrew for sharing.
A place to set out Homebrew.
A kitchen to wash glassware in.
Cost $15.00 or less a month for the space.

Internet access would be a plus (ok, that's just me. ;))

If you have a suggestion, put it here.

Thanks all!
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Blktre
BrewLegend

#2 Post by Blktre » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Added to the list i think is:

1) decent parking
2) maybe someplace thats not so HOT in the summer....ECM fans just dont
cut it........

Andy
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by cyburai » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Good points.. I completely forgot about parking.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by cyburai » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:16 pm

I have yet to hear anything from anyone regarding meeting space. If you have a suggestion, please post it.. I specifically don't want a list of places to come to light at the time of the April meeting for the sake of time.

I am going to post this on the LBG thread also.
~Cyburai / Sean

- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

rob

#5 Post by rob » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:09 pm

I think all of your suggestions are fine, but I would also suggest that centrally located is extremely important.

I certainly hope people realized that if you move the meeting to a different location and then ask at the meeting if people want to meet at that new location, you will get highly skewed results in favor of meeting there.

sundy58
Homebrewer

meeting place

#6 Post by sundy58 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:21 am

I have called most of the churches that I think would let a bunch of homebrewers come in.

That leaves out most of the protestant sects IMNSHO.

There are none that have space they want to allow us to use.

I called Parks & Rec of Lawrence and they do have a place at the river front plaza or some such. $25 an hour and $70 deposit and they keep the deposit if we don't clean up or leave late. I don't think that will work for us.

At this time the Unitarian Fellowship appears to be our best bet.

Google Maps claims it is 6 miles from ECM to UF.

UF has parking, air conditioning, kitchen, and will let us meet there.

People that show up to meetings get to vote IF there is a vote. We didn't get to vote on Brewfest this year. Someone made a DECISION that since Wakarusa Fest was the same weekend and Split Lip was going to be there we couldn't have it that weekend.

Central to who? It is closer to some farther for some. It's once a month. If it was more frequent it might be an issue.
The Mojo is not as good as the Yeti, yeti it is pretty good beer.

rob

Re: meeting place

#7 Post by rob » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:21 pm

>Central to who?

Central to the city. Inside the city limits would be a good start.

This really requires elaboration?

Blktre
BrewLegend

#8 Post by Blktre » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:38 pm

rob wrote:>Central to who?

Central to the city. Inside the city limits would be a good start.

This really requires elaboration?
from 15th and Iowa to the church on 1100 rd. is barely 5 miles........So were debating over 2.5 miles to better locate the meeting site? To me location is like 3rd on the list after space including kitchen, parking, and cost to rent. I know this may sound hipocritical coming from a guy who live 1.5 miles from the new spot.........But, as far as parking goes, at ECM, i could spend 10-15 min. locating a parking spot and another 10 min. walking to the church carrying a load of stuff. If a better spot that costs next to nothing is 2.5 miles closer to town, that does not require members to search and hump, im all ears.........
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

rob

#9 Post by rob » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:12 pm

>from 15th and Iowa to the church on 1100 rd. is barely 5 miles........

We are coming from scattered locations, not a central location.

> parking

there are 100's of covered parking spots across the street from the ECM. On weekends this parking is free so long as there is no home football game. On weekdays it's a whopping $1/hour.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#10 Post by Blktre » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:36 pm

rob wrote:>

there are 100's of covered parking spots across the street from the ECM. On weekends this parking is free so long as there is no home football game. On weekdays it's a whopping $1/hour.
moot point regardless since ECM seems to want to mess around w/ us and cannot gaurentee the LBG space that we need. It sounds to me you have definate feelings about meeting location, so do you or have you searched for a alternative spot?
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#11 Post by Greenblood » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:45 pm

I agree with Rob in that while searching for a new place to meet a "centrally located" one (as in close to the center of Lawrence) is better than a non centrally located one.

So if anybody knows of any centrally located places with:
good parking
a kitchen
room for 40+ people
no problems with us bringing homebrew in
costs $15 or less per month
AND an understanding that the LBG meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 7pm and we expect to be able to meet on that date every month not just when it fits the schedule of other events, and that it is not ok to stick us in a closet with short notice whenever they please....

Then please do share it with the group.

The Unitarian Fellowship fits every criteria on the list except the location. So until we can find a more centralized building it will fit our needs very well.

Cheers!

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

rob

#12 Post by rob » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:58 pm

>have you searched for a alternative spot?

I have not searched for a spot. Sean listed meeting place features and said "If you have a suggestion, put it here.".

That's what I did.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#13 Post by Blktre » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:24 pm

[quote="Greenblood"]I agree with Rob in that while searching for a new place to meet a "centrally located" one (as in close to the center of Lawrence) is better than a non centrally located one.

19th and Iowa is pretty much dead center of town. So, other than ECM, does somone have a suggestion to meet thats close to this intersection? From the sound of all the work that only one person has done (Dennis) finding anyplace to meet has been tuff. Let alone getting one "Centrally Located". Again, this falls to me 3rd on the list. The other criteria would be nice if it worked. So far, its not working.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

rob

#14 Post by rob » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:55 am

Another thing to consider by locating this outside of town-- you guarantee everyone will have to drive both to and from the meeting. This is not walkable, bikeable, or accessible by public transportation.

I've seen bikes and feet at meetings, as well as numerous shared rides between members over the years. I can't help but imagine fewer people will want to leave their cars and ask for a ride home if they have to leave their car several miles south of town.
Last edited by rob on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#15 Post by cyburai » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:11 am

Everyone's input on this is appreciated. Glad to see the discussion.

What locations in Central Lawrence is willing to to host us? Does anyone have a suggestions out of the research that Dennis has done already?

I know that LUF is less than ideal considering the drive. But I tend to favor an organization that is willing to accomodate us and our special needs.

This definately is an agenda item for April. So please attend the meeting and let your voice be heard.
~Cyburai / Sean

- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company