Opinions on Galena hops

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

Opinions on Galena hops

#1 Post by Bill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:03 am

I've had some Galena hops in my freezer for over a year and I want to try them. According to the BYO site Galena can be used in a ESB and has a medium citrusy flavor. I'm looking to change up my ESB recipe for Brewfest.

Before I commit myself to this hop, who of you have used this hop and what is your opinion of it as a hop, then your opinion of it as a hop in a simple ESB using 2 row, crystal 40/120 and Wyeast 1968?

I plan on brewing Wednesday night, so quick replies would be great!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

meisel
Craft Brewer

#2 Post by meisel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 am

I've used Galena hops and really liked them. Slightly citrusy with a firm bitterness. Some think they're a little rough around the edges (boil longer) but I find them great for bittering and definitely appropriate for an ESB. Your recipe looks solid. Brew strong!

Mr. Blues
Homebrewer

Galena hops

#3 Post by Mr. Blues » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:38 pm

I've used 3-4 ounces of Galena hop pellets during the boil of my Rock 'N' Billy Bitter with 1 ounce of Hallertau for finishing & have always believed it's one of the top three recipes I've concocted.

I've jumped up the gallonage to 8 during the boil but when I was doing 5-6 gallons I was using 3 ounces of Galena.

Rock 'N' Billy Bitter

8 gallon boil done from extract

Steep 2lbs. 60L or other light crystal malt from initial flame--take out at rolling boil

Add 8lbs. light or pale or even amber if that's all you've got malt extract

Add 1 ounce Galena hops every 15-20 minutes

After 45-60 minutes add 1 ounce Hallertau hops, 1 tsp Irish Moss, 3 tbsp yeast nutrients, take off heat

I've had good luck with two (7g) packets of Coopers dry yeast most of the time.

Starts out anywhere from 1.040-55 & ends up anywhere from 1.010-25, about a 4% brew.

Bill
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Bill » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks Bill! I like the recipe (except for the Hallertau, not on my list of fav hops), and I'm glad that I planned on putting them to use with a recipe that has some well established recipes!
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us