Renfest/Brefest brew date

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

mcole
Homebrewer

#16 Post by mcole » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:41 pm

We had such a great time. Thanks so much Andy for the use of your home, yard and stuff. See ya Sat.
"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
-Kaiser Welhelm

"May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out."
-Old Irish Blessing

Snowman
Homebrewer

#17 Post by Snowman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Quick update, I'm at Andy's, beers are fermenting well, temps both at 65F. He will probably update tomorrow.

Matt
Uberbrewer

#18 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Quick note of thanks to Jarell also, who deserves some credit I'm told for the fact that the twins are staying cool. That was a nice solution you devised. Well done.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

shane
Craft Brewer

#19 Post by shane » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:22 am

I just wanted to say these types of events -IMO- are why LBG ROCKS!!!
Thanks to ALL for the help making this happen! Cheers Shane

Blktre
BrewLegend

#20 Post by Blktre » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 am

I agree. This was an unbelievable club brew. You seriously missed out if you could not at least stop by. LBG-4bll's-2beers-7hrs.......

There are alot of pics floating around, if we can get these in the photo gallery that would be sweet.

I also want to personally Thank Jarrell. He was right. He worked hard getting the cooling system in place to control ferment temps in the fermenters. And w/o that cooling we would be fermenting close to 80* instead of in the upper 60's.....

Way to go LBG for being able to get together and put down these kind of numbers. There is just to many people that made this happen.

Cheers....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Snowman
Homebrewer

#21 Post by Snowman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks for the thanks guys...I didn't do a darn thing as far as the actual brewing goes. So my hats off to all who were brewing. I was almost freaked out how well things went! TONS of fun

Snowman
Homebrewer

#22 Post by Snowman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:04 pm

I think the pics that were running in a loop on the lap top need to be posted. There were some great shots!

jbame
Homebrewer

#23 Post by jbame » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Iwould love to share the pitures i took at the big brew only i know not how to put them on the forum if someone could PM me to tell one who knows littel about computers ass to what to do i would be most thankfull JACK

Pissytiffy
Homebrewer

pics from Group Brew @ Andy's

#24 Post by Pissytiffy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:52 pm

I've posted some of the pics that I took on the LBG Gallery at:
http://lawrencebrewers.org/gallery2/mai ... temId=3627

Blktre
BrewLegend

#25 Post by Blktre » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:51 pm

Update.......

The Wheat is at 1.010. I went ahead and bunged the fermenter hoping to get some natural carbonation. I'm pretty sure i was a little to late in doing this. The last few points went fast. I put a ton of ice into the cooling jackets. Both batches fermented at 68-70*. I stopped the cooling and the temp has raised to the mid 70's. The heat from fermentation traps in SS jacketed fermenters. Until the actual fermenter starts to cool to room temp, im guessing it will stay there until it reaches room temp of 68*. I'm done adding ice. The cooling rig worked well, and was very much needed, but it was an ice monster. My pocket ran dry buying ice twice/day.

The ESB is chugging along and is at 1.016. I'm going to cap it later tonight or first thing in the morning to try and get some better natural carbonation. What do the gravity samples taste like? Well, like primary samples always taste. Once the yeast drops out, they will be nice beers.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

Baron Ken
Homebrewer

#26 Post by Baron Ken » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Blktre wrote:...I put a ton of ice into the cooling jackets. Both batches fermented at 68-70*. I stopped the cooling and the temp has raised to the mid 70's. The heat from fermentation traps in SS jacketed fermenters. Until the actual fermenter starts to cool to room temp, im guessing it will stay there until it reaches room temp of 68*. I'm done adding ice. The cooling rig worked well, and was very much needed, but it was an ice monster. My pocket ran dry buying ice twice/day.
Maybe as a long term investment, this might be used for cooling somehow?: Glycol Beer line cooler on CraigsList

I could never spend $1000 on a piece of brewing equipment, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. ;)

Blktre
BrewLegend

#27 Post by Blktre » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:38 pm

BK,
We already own a glycol chiller. We just have gotten off our asses to get it up and running properly. But, it will be in place for the next group brew. Thanks for the linky....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Baron Ken
Homebrewer

#28 Post by Baron Ken » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:09 am

Blktre wrote:BK,
We already own a glycol chiller. We just have gotten off our asses to get it up and running properly. But, it will be in place for the next group brew. Thanks for the linky....
Doh! I really need to come see your setup!! Can't make it tomorrow for the bourbon barrel brew either though. :sad1:

Blktre
BrewLegend

#29 Post by Blktre » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 am

Sounds good.
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Blktre
BrewLegend

#30 Post by Blktre » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:09 pm

Been dumping yeast. Things are starting to clear up. There are 2 nice 1g jugs of yeast sitting in the fridge. Further dumps goes down the drain. The yeast plug on the Wheat was so thick that it played hell getting it to pop out of there. After a few choice words, the @#$% finally obeyed.

Remember i leave for Colorado. This Sun. is the last day to get Renfest beer kegged and out of here. So i guess we need some kegs don't we....who has some?
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift