> 'Dubbel de Raysonne', brewday pics

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Blktre
BrewLegend

> 'Dubbel de Raysonne', brewday pics

#1 Post by Blktre » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:16 pm

Brewed up a Dubbel. Decided to carmalize some organic raisins in some Port wine. Also, reduced some piloncillo sugar as well.......Here some pics...

Piloncillo dark sugar, cheap arse Port, organic raisins....

Carmalizing raisins in the Port till all the raisins popped inside out....the Port would flame itself when it hit the cast iron skillet.......

Ummmmmm, smells and tastes yummy!!

Reducing the Piloncillo to pure syrup. Then at 5 min. left in the main boil, added the syrup and Port raisins......

Guess whos ugly legs those are?

Hit all numbers on a rainy day, blowoff in a few hrs. pitching WL500.....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Greenblood » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:24 pm

Looks pretty awesome Andy! Where do you pick up that sugar? I have never had it before.

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Have to look at Mexican and Indian markets. The KC river market has booths that carry these as well.....sugars like Piloncillo, palm sugar, jaggery, gula jawa, demara/terbinado, muscovado, panocha.......if you want a list describing the different flavors of these sugars, ill be glad to post them.......they are alot more complex than any sugars were used to getting around here......
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#4 Post by Greenblood » Mon May 01, 2006 11:08 am

Plesae do post the descripts. I have used turbinado numerous times, and Muscavado is one of my favorites. I use 5lbs of it in the Apple Butter Cyser you enjoy so much.

Cheers

john
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Mon May 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Sugars:

I've played alot with different sugars; after reading Moshers book, I started exploring the ethnic groceries in my area. Following are the ones I've tried (origin point as well - some may be made in other places as well),and my impressions of each - tasting the sugar itself, and how it came through in the beer.

Hopefully it will be of interest. YMMW!

Demara/Turbinado - light brown cane sugar, U.S. Came as granulated loose sugar in a box. Not a big "character" sugar, more complex than the bleached white stuff. Little to no color contribution.

Muscovado - Dark brown cane sugar from Barbados. Came in a 10 to 12 oz. square block. Much more character and color than Demara/Turbinado. Very rich sweet molasses character. Lots of color/character contribution.

Piloncillo - Medium brown cane sugar from Mexico. Came in a 12 to 18 oz. bag of small cone shapes (like little fez hats). Darker than D/T, not as dark as muscovado. Earthy and not as richly sweet as the muscovado. Fair bit of color/character contribution.

Panocha - Very dark cane sugar from the Phillipines. Came in a bag of 2 (approx. 8 oz. ea.) rounded disc shapes. Much darker than piloncillo, not as earthy - very rich molasses/carmel sweetness - but different than the muscovado, which is perhaps a little "cleaner" in taste - perhaps not as many impurities? Ton of color/character contribution.

Palm sugar - very light, creamy sugar from Thailand, made from palms (as opposed to sugar cane). Came in flat disc shapes - one time 2 larger pieces @ about 8 oz. ea, the next in smaller discs about 2 oz. each.) Somewhat buttery sweetness. No color contribution, some character (mouthfeel mainly) contribution

Gula Jawa - a very dark brown palm sugar from Indonesia. Creamy rich molasses/buttery carmel flavor. Came in a 12oz. roll. Extremely rich, very sweet, though not like pure cane sugar - creamier (if that makes sense...). Ton of color/character contribution.

Jaggery/Gur - Butterscotch colored palm sugar from India. Came in a large 2# cone shape (like a fez hat). Creamy sweet, nut buttery, interesting earthy character. Very light color contribution, fair bit of character contribution.

Chinese yellow lump candy - Hard yellow crystallized rock candy from China. Came in a 14 oz. box of various size chunks. Sugar sweet with a light honey character which came through very nicely in a blonde ale. Very little color contribution (bit of yellow, perhaps), honey like aroma was noticable.

Dark candy syrup - this is the new stuff (tjthresh had a post about it as well...) Came in a 500 ml plastic bottle - extremely dark, lots of intense flavor. Lot of character and color contribution. The dubbel I made with it has an almost smokey quality to it - similar to a scotch ale where you heavily carmelize a portion of the wort.

Theres also a clear candy syrup awaiting approval into the US. If you really study traditional Belgian brewing, they use syrup.....the rocks are Americanized.......
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Greenblood » Mon May 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Great post Andy. Lots of good info there.

Thanks!

John
Cheers!

John Monaghan

pc
Homebrewer

#7 Post by pc » Thu May 04, 2006 12:05 pm

That sounds fantastic. I'd love to try some. Smoked porter as well.
Great sugar info.
Raise a toast to St. Joe Strummer